PDA

View Full Version : Would you spend £25K on a new Passat?

Flyguy
14-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi, new to the forum and I have to say I'm shocked at all the negative and frankly disturbing posts about the passat reliability!
I was going to order a new Passat Estate Highline 2.0TDi 170 6spd with a bunch of options (18" wheels, bi-xenon lights, sunroof, parking sensor, tailgate closing, fogs, heated windscreen/washers, tyre pressute, tinited glass etc).

Should I take my money elsewhere? If so what other decent estate can I get for £25K?
Thanks
Flyguy

podwin
14-04-2009, 09:23 PM
All forums are the same, everyone finds a forum to get help when they have a problem.

When the car is fine they don't, they just get on with it, unless you're an enthusiast, which is always a small percentage.

I'd spend that, I'd have an R36 if I had the cash.

The wife has a C-max, and its the same on the Ford forum.

The worst I've seen is Renault, loads of threads about bad Langunas, and I mean loads!

martin1810
14-04-2009, 09:27 PM
The one thing a lot of people fail to mention with the passat is that it is a very safe car to be in if you have an accident. Not just ncap wise but also in the real world.

dunkley201
14-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Flyguy, it is just as podwin says, you will see many issues here, 'cos that's what the forum is for. See the other thread on "are you happy with your Passat" for some reassurance.
My question is: Why pay all that to lose so much value in year one when the used market offers such good value at the moment? You pays your money and takes your choice I guess...

mk4gtiturbo
14-04-2009, 10:10 PM
In answer to the question - no, but not for the unrealiability issues or rattles or harsh ride or whatever anyone else thinks is wrong with their car

I bought a year old (57 plate) 2.0 TDI Sport DSG for a little over £10k. You can't go wrong at that price, and there are deals to be had in the current economic climate. OK so the hand brake switch was faulty but VW have replaced it and now it's fine. Not wanting to put the kiss of death on it but other than that I can't think of anything else that is wrong.

Flyguy
14-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. The car is being bought through the company so not my money directly and no doubt they will haggle. But we get a budget (mine is 25K) to select a car based on showroom prices.
Priorities for me are boot space, comfort and a balance between fuel economy and reasonable performance. I could go for a Modeo Estate but these are more expensive once spec'd up! Volvo V70 seems out of my budget.

gamichea
15-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I've had problems, but never been stuck by the roadside.

It does not matter whether its a forum, a magazine survey or pub chat, in the majority of cases it will be the downsides taking centre stage . In some cases its quite clear dislikes rather than problems are at the root of issues and often it turns out the complainer put little effort into properly thinking about their needs, researching candidate vehicles and subjecting the resultant shortlist to meaningful test drives, not just a few minutes with some salesperson alongside. Doing all that is not an enthusiasts thing, its just trying to protect yourself from making what could be a big mistake that you have to live with for quite a while. I make this point particularly because you list comfort as one of your priorities yet are specifying 18 inch wheels. I certainly would not do that without test driving a car so equipped. I have a Sport because that spec. most closely matched my ideal (i.e.minimum of options needed). Because the Sport is on 17s/sports suspension I tested it back to back with an SE on 16s/standard suspension to check out the comfort side. The difference was quite clear but the Sport was more than acceptable and I have not regretted my choice. For me I think 18s with their 40 profile tyres could be a step too far on the Passat but if somebody offered a days test drive in a Passat CC on 18s with the Adaptive Chassis Control I'd be very happy to accept ;).

Most importantly try to form an opinion/get some info. on the dealer likely to look after your car, handle your warranty claims, etc. Mine has been first rate and is a very big part of the reason why I probably will be spending a considerable sum of my own money on another Passat, or at least another VW in a couple of years time.

bigstuff
15-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Mines done 40k miles now and apart from the recalls and fuel flap switch and new carpet both under warranty mines only cost for tyres, normal servicing and front pads.

Feels solid. Currently missuses daily driver but will become mine next year and with my 20k miles p.a. i'll take it to 100k+ miles as its a cheap car to run imo.

GeoffW
15-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't spend £25K of my money on a new one, but would certainly spend my money on another nearly new example, or the company's money on a new one.

Dook
15-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a 170 TDi sport estate DSG, and am really happy with it. The glovebox rattle is a bit of a niggle, but other than that, great drive, DSG is brilliant. Only things so far at 28k miles are new front tyres and 1 very resonable service. Would thoroughly recommend the DSG with auto hold, auto lights and wipers, and winter pack including heated front seats and screen, mmmm toasty....:biglaugh:

angus
15-04-2009, 01:47 PM
If I had to spend 25K on a car it wouldn`t be a Passat I`m afraid.

Cleaning the OH`s B5.5 Sport at the weekend made me realise just how cheap the interior finish is on the B6, the missing details such as the illuminated vent controls, no puddle lights (brilliant, those things), the way that although the old one sounds a lot louder outside (no engine/gearbox undertray - couldn`t be bothered with it ) yet it is SOOOO much quieter inside and on the motorway.
I suppose the B6 being an estate might make it noisier, and the sport wheel/tyre set up might not help, but the B5.5 is a sport as well and still manages to make less of a racket.

Oh, well. 25K? You can get a delivery mileage BMW520d for that (before you haggle). It might have been styled by Stevie Wonder on speed, but its a much nicer drive.

Damwee
15-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd get a passat again and again, its good VFM. But a that price you could get a BMW 5 series or Lexus or summit. Probably hold it value better too(if thats of any concern).

I had a vectra last, you wanna check vectrasport, its Burdsting with peoples cars problems

ledburyloafer
15-04-2009, 04:44 PM
mine is a company car, haggled it down to just under 24K with all the toys, listed below. No way could i get a bmw 3/merc c class that would come any where near it for spec at that price.
I would have been seriously tempted by the Mondeo, if it had an autobox option!
Must say have on the whole been very satisfied with this car, last one was the B5 130 sport, and this is much quieter and more refined.:D

quattrogmbh
15-04-2009, 11:23 PM
The passat is a great car for sure. I still keep finding clever design points after 3 months ownership.

In response to would I buy a new one for £25K -
No. I would take the cash allowance and buy a nearly new BMW 335D for £25K

mk4gtiturbo
16-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I had an 07 plate Focus 1.6 TDCI Ghia as my company car but opted out. With the car allowance I get I can afford the Passat and still have cash left over!

In my company car scheme the Focus was a grade 5 car and the Passat is a grade 10 car.

drmartin
16-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I had a B6 Passat Estate for 120ks over 26 months (dont ask!) and when time came to change, opted for what I have below... and its sssssssssssoooo much better...

gamichea
17-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I had a B6 Passat Estate for 120ks over 26 months (dont ask!) and when time came to change, opted for what I have below... and its sssssssssssoooo much better...

and its sssssssssssoooo much more expensive. At showroom prices (the basis used in this thread) its £26k for the same 170PS engine before any options. It'll be more expensive to service too at Audi workshop prices.

Lease costs give a good indication of relative overall cost.

I quit Audi for VW because the extra costs did not add up in terms of perceived benefits be they objective , subjective or financial.