PDA

View Full Version : B5 Passat rubber recommendations

Robbus
14-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

I'm a few hundred miles in to ownership of my 54 plate Highline 130 TDi - erm B5.5? I'm going to need to spend a few notes to sort her out to my liking. Probably first stop is the rubber. Currently it's got Pirelli P6000 up front and something horrible called Maxxis on the back. 205/60R15 all around. I'm guessing I should stick with that size and not drop down to 195/65?

I'm tempted with Falken ZE-912s as they're a reasonable price and I've run them with no issues before on BMWs, alas no FK452s available in that size. But I'd be interested to hear some other recommendations. Currently doing 30k/yr 25% B Roads 75% M/ways, so I need a best of both worlds really. Something that'll take care of not slipping me in to a ditch on the Bs and something quiet and competent on the Ms.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob

Robbus
17-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Had some Falken 912s stuck on today, £240 for four fitted plus £16 to sort the tracking out is pretty reasonable in my book. They should be run in nicely by the end of next week.

Cheers,
Rob

Hex69
17-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Had some Falken 912s stuck on today, £240 for four fitted plus £16 to sort the tracking out is pretty reasonable in my book. They should be run in nicely by the end of next week.

Cheers,
Rob

Let us know how they bed in, as I'll need some new fronts in a month or 2. :beerchug:

Robbus
25-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Well 700odd dry(!!!) miles in and they're doing all right. Handling is certainly an improvement on the P6000, no surprises there. Noise levels are still a bit intrusive, possibly a touch less than before, not terrible though. I have heard that the Passat isn't particularly well insulated in the wheel well area so it might be tricky with anything except megabuck Michellins to get tyre noise to a decent level, I dunno though 'cos this is my first VW.

Apparently next week is going to be wet though, so I'll see how they cope then.

Cheers,
Rob

Mike McKinstry
25-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Quoted £83 each today for Michelins at ATS if you buy 4-offer at moment-works out £332 a set which I am tempted to go for as last mich energys have done just over 30k on the front and worn even -not much tyre noise-good wet and dry,never a hiccup.Normal price shooping around Suffolk is £90 for a Mich= £360.

Mike