PDA

View Full Version : Audi 100 - rattle from the rear

randall977
23-03-2007, 05:27 PM
My Audi 100 has a really annoying rattle which sounds like a small metal plate virating?? The car is very tidy and I've checked the brakes, suspension, bumper mountings, exhaust but everything is tight. My suspicion is the fuel tank, which had a new Bosch fuel pump fitted soon after I got the car (I can't remember if it vibrated before then as its not massively loud) - could it be rattling? I tried getting into it but even after depressurising the system the petrol just kept coming out - so I gave up. Could the pump be vibrating or the sender unit? How can I get into it without petrol going every where? Any advice greatfully recieved.

Also why does the fuel cap hiss every time I undo it - my last Audi did this too.

diane
14-05-2007, 11:42 PM
My own Audi of 1993 vintage had a annoying rattle coming from the rear since ive had the car and found the cause of the problem when recently doing a complete brake job. This was disks and pads all round. Anyway you have to release the adjuster on the handbreak cable so that levers on the calipers are up against the stops.To do this you have to drop the exhaust heat shield to get at the adjuster. Pig of a job; a pit helps.I get the shield down and find that adjuster very loose infact you could see where it had been rattling on the underside of the tunnel. After pumping the brake pedal to tighten the pads up to the disks i tightend the adjuster until the handbreak held nicely on four clicks. Dont know if this helps but no more rattle.