PDA

View Full Version : Passat rubbing sound

simbob3000
14-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi all! I know that noise problems can be difficult to track down without actually hearing them but i thought i'd ask anyhow! :)

I have a LHD 1997 1.8 20v Passat AUTOMATIC (Norwegian spec)

Problem is that when turning at speed (ie light bends on the road) i can hear a rythmic rubbing sound as if the brake disc were warped. (drivers side)

Also when accelerating from a full stop hard i get a fast vibration from the wheel area (drivers side)

I have jacked up the car and removed the caliper and put the car in gear so that the hub turned but i could not see or hear anything, only seems to happen under load. I have also driven the car VERY hard on full lock to see if there were any cv noises but there was nothing.

I had the wheel bearing on this side changed about 6 months ago.

Any ideas will be warmly welcomed as garages here in Norway want a fortune just to look at the car! :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

snapdragon
14-04-2009, 09:22 AM
It sounds like it may be drive shaft universal joint. Does it click...click....click when you set off with hard acceleration?

cazyp
14-04-2009, 09:59 AM
(Does that wheel feel hotter than the other?)

Ideas:
As above,
Brake disk may well be warped - mine were but were only noticable when in use rather than being spun jacked up,
Tyre out of shape?
Pads sticking on disk?
Wheel beering knackered again?

simbob3000
14-04-2009, 10:27 AM
it does make a clicking when pulling away hard but only when it is driven from a standstill.
The wheel does not feel any hotter than the other and the car is fine when driving straight. I should add that the clicking when pulling away is only if I accelerate away hard and then the clicking is bad, worse still if I am on a cambered junction (ie where the car is at an angle when turning at the top of a hill)

Thanks for the quick replies!!

cazyp
14-04-2009, 10:46 AM
In that case sounds like CV joint or as said Uni' joint.

simbob3000
14-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I presume that the UNI joint is the joint at the other end of the driveshaft? Is it most likely to be this one rather than the cv as it doesn't click when on full lock?

If so where is the cheapest place to get the joint and shaft unit? I can only do mail order as I am in Norway .