PDA

View Full Version : Aggghhhh!!! - MKIV First gear problems

SanderCH
23-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Im sorry to say this but im really starting to hate my golf....:aargh4:

Iv ended up fighting the garage to provide me with another year's warranty because iv had that many problems (so not to bad)... but i still dont think it feels right.

When i pull away in first gear i get a large jerk (no funny's) it's as if your dropping into second from fourth ?? any ideas.

ive been told it might be the maff censor but nothing comes up on the di testing

Cheers

SanderCH

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 01:37 PM
try this

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5352

Jackjack
25-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi, I have the same problem (maybe) with my X-reg 1.6. If I'm in a motorway jam and I'm in 1st gear, I get this:-

Right, I'm rolling along in 1st with my foot off the pedal.
Then, I have to accelerate a little to stay with the flow of traffic.
When I touch the accelerator, the car lunges forward as the revs give a 10,000 rpm step increase! No smooth transition.

It always happens actually. But it's only a problem when you have to drive in 1st.

Oh, and it happens on the way back down through the revs too. It's the computer applying the electric motor to the throttle.

I took it to a couple of dealers but I couldn't even get them to understand what is happening; my model is mid-way between fully operated by cable and fully drive-by-wire.

I've gotten used to it now in a mad kind of way.

SanderCH
26-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I took it to a couple of dealers but I couldn't even get them to understand what is happening; my model is mid-way between fully operated by cable and fully drive-by-wire.

Thanks for the reply mate I was starting to think I was going mad. You have hit the nail on the head with the descripion of the fault. I have only been receiving this problem after a recent turbocharger replacement and now the dealers are telling me they wont look at it unless it shows up on the diagnostics.. :zx11:

So whats your next move? Are you just going to ignore it or try to get it sorted? I would be interested in finding out what happens if you do.

I love my golf to bits but am starting to feel like I got the faulty one from the line and now thinking of selling it on....

guyg
26-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I had a similar problem [although not as drastic] with a much older [1995] A6 2.0. Your setup could be completely different from this, mine had a cable controlled throttle with a positional sensor [potentiometer] informing the ecu.

The problem with mine was part of the track on the sensor had worn away [after 160k]. Once the throttle was advanced a little past idle, the wiper lost contact with the track and the ecu had a minor wobbly, resulting in a sudden advance of the idle control valve, a corresponding increase in fuelling and and a sudden lurch forward. I would get a similar surge if I was rolling up to traffic lights in gear and I slowly released the throttle. I only narrowly missed rear-ending the car in front on several occasions until I changed the sensor.

Don't know if this will still be relevent to later petrol designs, but it might be worth checking.

Cheers

Guy