PDA

View Full Version : rear lights

tweeky
23-03-2007, 12:49 PM
i cant seem to find a set of nice rear lights for the mnark 4 golf, the lexus ones are horrible in my opinion and everything else looks a bit.. well... chavvy to be honest, the nicest ive seen that are after market are l.e.d ones, but there chromed and i like the black l.e.d lights, i have a friend with a mark4 astra and there similar and look nice, was wondering if anyone knew of a company that sell black l.e.d rear lights for the mark 4. if all else fails then ive decided id like them spray tinted, im not to bothered about the legal side but i dont want to use a can of halfords crap becuase it comes out very matty and not shiny or proffesional atall, i stumbles acorss this picture below today and think it looks sexual. and would like my lights like that, but im not sure how he has achieved that proffesional spray tinted shiny look, and advice on that one too please...

thankx chaps,
steve.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/908/mark4rearclustersvv2.jpg

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 01:02 PM
hmm, i know what you mean... i got some supposed 'black carbon' lexus style lights,they looked worse than the standard gti lights.... took them off and sold them with a tenners profit to some chav LOL

Hella do some black tinted aftermarkets, not sure about the LEDs though,
have you tried eBay ? :Blush:

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 01:08 PM
what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-4-MK4-R32-gti-BLACK-LED-REAR-TAIL-LIGHTS-98-W_W0QQitemZ290096759593QQcategoryZ72248QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290096759593

tweeky
23-03-2007, 01:13 PM
hi there eshrules, yeah they are nice, infact there the nicest ive seen other than the tinted ones but i dont like them chrome bit at the bottom of the light, the led part is lovely, like it alot. and the red part is fine, i guess thats what make em legal, red reflector and all, but that chrome bit spoils the light. imo. i have scowered ebay and i must admit i didnt find them, all i can find are cheap and nastys.

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 01:24 PM
hi there eshrules, yeah they are nice, infact there the nicest ive seen other than the tinted ones but i dont like them chrome bit at the bottom of the light, the led part is lovely, like it alot. and the red part is fine, i guess thats what make em legal, red reflector and all, but that chrome bit spoils the light. imo. i have scowered ebay and i must admit i didnt find them, all i can find are cheap and nastys.

i think the legality of fully black tinted rear lights has to be questioned... if they are tinted black and mirrored finish, how on earth can the reflectors do what they're supposed to? tbh.... your not going to get a full black tint rear cluster that is legal, youd have to swap back to OEM for the MOT anyway. :Blush:

tweeky
23-03-2007, 01:27 PM
i understand what your saying but its not the red bit i dont like on that last set, its the chrome bit. im not bothered about the legal side to be honest, if i can find out how to get them done id have them like the ones in that picture on my first post.

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 01:36 PM
edited to remove content - sorry Carl

tweeky
23-03-2007, 03:18 PM
tweeky - should your friend the MOT tester does as described, he'll be breaking the law, I suggest you keep this thread on topic from this point forward

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 03:25 PM
thats like saying, if you run an old dear over, its not as bad as runing a young child over... they're both as bad as each other. letting a car slip through an MOT for what he classes as a 'minor' defect, is appaling and id love to have the name of this supposed garage, id immediatley report him to VOSA for said actions....

it is stupidity like this that causes accidents, most at night, if you cant see the reflections off the rear of the car, you cant see the car, simple.. especially on poorly lit roads and lanes.

i cant beleive your even trying to justify such actions...it is entirely irresponsible.

PM sent to mods.

Sam
23-03-2007, 03:26 PM
The law states you must have a rear reflector, hence the "red" bits on those eBay lights.

I tinted my whole rear cluster body colour and was pulled over for not having rear reflectors. As long as they are on the rear of the car it doesn't matter.

If you got into an accident or you were rear ended, the legality will be brought into question.

See my sig for my rear lights - now sat in my garage while I work on phase two.

Eshrules
23-03-2007, 03:27 PM
The law states you must have a rear reflector, hence the "red" bits on those eBay lights.

I tinted my whole rear cluster body colour and was pulled over for not having rear reflectors. As long as they are on the rear of the car it doesn't matter.

If you got into an accident or you were rear ended, the legality will be brought into question.

**tut** you should know better samuel!

Sam
23-03-2007, 03:33 PM
I should, you're right.

That's why they're in my garage and not on my car - they are show lights ;)

tweeky
23-03-2007, 03:52 PM

well in that case can i just buy some red rear reflectors and stick them on the back, anywhere i like? i wonder if theres a certain size theyve got to be... those lights look gorgeous on the passat, how did you do them if you dont mind me asking?

Sam
23-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Yes to the reflectors, as long as you display them on the rear, I believe you're fine.

As for my lights, lightly sanded down, two coats of paint, a few coats of clear.

tweeky
23-03-2007, 05:06 PM
fantastic, thankx for your time.