PDA

View Full Version : 1-4 Tsi 122 ps 7 speed DSG or 2-0 140ps 6 speed DSG

mr pastry
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I know this is the wrong forum but I am thinking about getting the Golf Plus when it comes out at the end of the month and feel that I may get a better response on this forum as its based on the new Mark 6 Golf.

Regarding the 2 engines with DSG boxes which is the best one to go for regarding reliability , drivability and performance.
After many years of driving Toyota's and a brief 3 years with an Audi I am not really up to date with Vw offerings .

I understand that the 7 speed DSG box is slightly different in that it uses less Oil and is not a wet system .

I do about 14,000 miles a year and running cost wise with the cheaper purchase price and cheaper fuel price of petrol over diesel I would not think there is much in it.

Any help regarding the merits of each Auto box would be appreciated

Rhigour
13-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Not just so much the gearboxes that you should think about, although the 7 speed does get the best out of the 122 PS engine. It is more that the 140 has a supercharger as well as a turbo . You need to ask yourself, if reliability and driveability are your main criteria, is the "TWINCHARGER" option is the best for you when the turbo only122 PS engine has bags of torque all the way from tickover to red line. A web search on the twincharger engine will bring up some comments on whether all is fully sorted yet.

mr pastry
13-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Many thanks for your reply I believe these engines do not have the twin charger option and are both just turbo charged .

I think the supercharger and turbo charger engine is the 1-4 TSI 160ps which is not an option on the new Golf plus at the moment but must add as I said in my original post I am not familiar with Vw engines!! it was more on how in everyday use which was the one to go for

zf44
13-04-2009, 09:41 PM
My choice would be to go for the diesel, the Golf Plus is a heavier car and the torque linked to the 2.0TDi will be better. I owned a diesel Golf SPORT for three years (mostly trouble free) and when I switched to a loan Golf Plus TSi the engine seemed to struggle.

bilen123
21-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi

This maybe of interest - just bought a 122 PS 1.4 DSG for the wife. Great drive only it does not behave as a proper ATUO box...does not do hill starts vewry well which is a major issue for the wife as that is the reason why she opted for ther auto....Mark4 auto work like autos but DSG is different.

Unaware of this fact until be bought it. You have about 2s (if hill start is enabled) to get the clutch engaged before you roll back.....ok for me but not the wife and I suspect for the older generation (without being too unkind)

Rhigour
21-04-2009, 07:42 PM
bilen.
It is a matter of bringing the left foot back into play, keep the left foot on the brake and lift the revs with the right to about 1200 then the car will move forward on releasing the brake and not roll back. The only time this gets tricky is if you are at an uphill junction and you only want to move forward a controlled amount , say to start edging out. Don`t think I have quite mastered this myself yet. I agree the DSG is not like driving an an automatic with torque converter, in fact it can be a bit of an animal in certain situations. ( Don`t worry about being unkind I am 75 )

CharlesCourtney
21-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I know this is the wrong forum but I am thinking about getting the Golf Plus when it comes out at the end of the month and feel that I may get a better response on this forum as its based on the new Mark 6 Golf.

Regarding the 2 engines with DSG boxes which is the best one to go for regarding reliability , drivability and performance.
After many years of driving Toyota's and a brief 3 years with an Audi I am not really up to date with Vw offerings .

I have the old Golf Plus with the 122ps and 7 speed and love it - plenty of power, gearbox is lovely to drive!

My current Golf Plus (Dec 08) replaced a Golf Plus 1.6 FSI 6sp Auto (Sept 05) and I was a little concerned about dropping from 1.6 to 1.4 and the change in Auto to DSG. But it is much nicer to drive, much more responsive, better MPG - runs fine on 95 petrol (FSI needed 98).

mr pastry
21-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks all of for your replies they have been most helpful !!
As my wife would be a driver on the car this could be an important consideration as she is not to keen on an Auto as it is

Looking at the spec sheets it states that on the DSG it has a Autohold function would this help alleviate the problem.

I must add I have no experience with Auto boxes

Rhigour
21-04-2009, 09:23 PM
As my wife would be a driver on the car this could be an important consideration as she is not to keen on an Auto as it is

Looking at the spec sheets it states that on the DSG it has a Autohold function would this help alleviate the problem.

On this car the autohold is actuated from the handbrake and after releasing brake holds the car for just 2 sec before disensaging. Presumably to suit the time it takes for the clutch to take up drive.

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 07:20 AM
On this car the autohold is actuated from the handbrake and after releasing brake holds the car for just 2 sec before disensaging. Presumably to suit the time it takes for the clutch to take up drive.

I assume you meant foot brake ;)

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 07:37 AM

When I ordered my new car April last year - the 122/DSG was a rare as hen teeth and took the plunge without a test drive (or even the option) - but you should be able to find one now (even if it is in a standard golf) so try and take one for a test drive - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would not get to concerned about the hill start - given the Autohold and bit of left foot brake hold (once stopped switch to left foot to hold the brake as in Rhigour's post) it is fine.

Rhigour
22-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I assume you meant foot brake ;)

Sorry yes footbrake , car senses if it is stopped on slope of 5 deg or more. I wonder if it works backwards uphill ?:confused:

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 08:26 AM
I wonder if it works backwards uphill ?:confused:

I think it does - I will have to find a hill and try it out !