PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Speedometer and fuel gauge problem.

Teemu
12-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello!

So few days ago while driving my A3 -99 automatic the speedometer died...doesnt move at all...and the fuel gauge started to move back and fourth.
Fuses are ok. Any ideas?

Thanks.

kenney
12-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi I think you have an issue with the dash insert

ed'sA3-1.8THK
13-04-2009, 01:50 AM
i second this opinion

pls do not drive car in this condition as failing instrmnt cluster will trigger immobilizer WHILE DRIVING and cause engine to suddenly die

only solution is cluster replacement and this requires audi dealer having realtime on-line access to central depot to obtain enabling link to transfer your original cluster internal data to new replacement cluster

this is absolutely critical if you have drive-by-wire (electronic thottle) engine control/management

breakers salvaged cluster, simply dropped into your dash will not work,,,

Teemu
13-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Aight. But if im not totally wrong, -99 a3 8L has throttle with wire? Correct me if im wrong. And everything else works just fine (rpm, temp, the little cpu which shows the gear and outside temp) And ive driven approx. 500km after the break down and nothing weird has happened. But anyway thanks for the warning...I guess I gotta go to a audi dealer and ask about this, only thing is that I have a lil hunch that it'll cost me big time if thats the only way :(

Btw sorry for my maybe crappy eng skills...im from finland so...:P

Teemu
20-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Ok a lil update. So i got the motor and instrument cluster checked with vag-com and this fault popped up

16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor 1: Implausible Signal

So i guess this atleast points to the sensor (my car has 2 of them)...the guy who ran the test didnt know which one it is...:P What does the number "1" mean if it doesnt tell you which sensor it is...?

Any idea if there could be something else you could check before changing the sensor/s?

kenney
20-04-2009, 04:25 PM
1) means one of these displays appears in addition to relevant component.
no signal 1)
Implausible signal 1)

Teemu
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
A lil update...

So i got the speed sensor changed and guess what...the problem is still there :( Anyway at work shop they tested what would happen if they manually gave a signal (roll it with a screwdriver) to the sensor and when doing that, the speedometer was alive.

So whats the thing in the tranny what gives the signal to the speed sensor?
Any idea how hard it is to change/repair?

Cheers!

Btw thanks kenney for the info.

mrw
31-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Looking for some help on the speed sensor(s). Locations, and how to check and/or replace them. My speedometer jumps between 40 & 60mph. Obviously there's an issue here. Can anyone help?
Thanks

jt77
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
i had a similar problem, no speedo and fuel guage moving up and down while driving, also accellerating from low revs became really jerky. hooked up an engine diagnostic device my friend has and it came up with engine fault code 18062 i think, anyway, i erased this code and low and behold now everthign is working!! don't know if that helps in anyway... still doesn't solve my other problem of why my hazard lights work independantly but not together!!