PDA

View Full Version : Please Help engine managment System

Holston1972
12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Dear All :1zhelp:

Vehicle: A4 Avant 97 1.9tdi quattro Engine code: AFN

How & What Happened:

Head gasket was leaky, turbo was making funny noise and rad had been repaired by rad weld etc, and one day finally all gave up.

I managed to limp home over half an hour to travel 2 miles.

The throttle pedal was working however the engine was continuosly revving at approx 2-3000 rpm.

When at destination & stationary the car could be switched off and would start again without the revving.

Works carried out: new rad (2nd hand but seems good), new turbo (2nd hand but seems good) new head gaskets, rocker box etc, new timing belt & tensioner, aux belts, fuel filter, oil filter.

all back together

The Problem:

The engine turns over however

No fuel is going from the fuel tank pump to the tamden pump.

The immobilizer light is coming on and going out in the correct procedure.

The Glow plug light is coming on and going out in the correct procedure.

The trip computor is saying ok at the same time as the above, then the ok message goes out after 1-2mins and the glow plug light starts to flash.

It says in the manual: If a fault should occur in the engine management system while the car is moving, the indicator lamp while start flashing.

:confused:

Please can anybody offer any experiance to my problem?

Regards

Crasher
12-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Very carefully give the intake a shot of Bradex Easy Start a little at a time. Take great care as the engine can crack up and race away before you can even think fast enough to try and shut it down and often the shut down flap is overcome by the airflow, it is very scary when it happens and can destroy the engine and/or turbo in about 1 second. If the engine runs on a sniff of gas, I suspect the pump timing is out but one tooth. How was the belt timing set, plate in the cam and pin in the pump with the crank on the flywheel zero?

Holston1972
12-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Very carefully give the intake a shot of Bradex Easy Start a little at a time. Take great care as the engine can crack up and race away before you can even think fast enough to try and shut it down and often the shut down flap is overcome by the airflow, it is very scary when it happens and can destroy the engine and/or turbo in about 1 second. If the engine runs on a sniff of gas, I suspect the pump timing is out but one tooth. How was the belt timing set, plate in the cam and pin in the pump with the crank on the flywheel zero?

Thanks for your reply.

We tried damp start and it worked, so fingers crossed we know it will work,

a. Will the pump timing stop power getting to fuel pump in the fuel tank and make the glow plug light flash?

b. yes 'plate in the cam, 15mm copper pipe in the pump (all the red dots line up) with the crank on zero. (we where happy with it).

Regards

Crasher
12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
You sprayed Holts Damp Start up the intake!

The glow plug light should come on and go out, is it flashing?