PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Does anyone know how to adjust boot lid on Golf MK5 GTI ?

shaft-50
11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Slight problem which doesnt seem to go away and keeps coming back to haunt me and not sure what it is.

My question/concern is as follows;

My rear bumper and boot lid appear to have little clearance space when closed and sometimes the bootlid catches the top part of the bumper when I shut it, scuffing it slightly.

Is it possible to adjust the boot lid so that I could raise it very slightly upwards away from the bumper leaving a slight increase in the gap when it is operated and closed ?

If it is could someone advise me if this is something I could do or would have to get VW to do it.

Thanks in advanc :1zhelp:

Ben
12-04-2009, 01:19 PM
easy. Has the bumper been removed at all? If so it hasn't been put back on correctly. I had a similar problem with my golf just on the left hand side of the tailgate. Only solved it when i removed it to fit the towbar.

shaft-50
12-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi and thanks for response.

Yes I recently removed my standard gti bumper and replaced it with the ed30 one. I have now removed and re-fit it 3 times but the problem keeps appearing and dont know what to do. Getting a bit f' off with the problem now :zx11:

Is there any product out there that i could use to secure it down, ie glue or something similar.

I know vw do a aluminium/foil type trim that fits on top of the boot clearance part of the bumper. Think this might be the cure to prevent the paint being scuffed ?

Ben
12-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Is it boot lid meeting the bumper along the full length or just in one specific area?

shaft-50
13-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Its catching along the full length. Basically I believe its the plastic bumper support that is behind the fitted bumper to which the bumper fixes on to.

I am now wondering if the ED30 has a different bumper support to the GTI as I have done everything to try and resolve it without getting :zx11: and kicking it :aargh4:?

RickT
15-04-2009, 11:50 PM
Its catching along the full length. Basically I believe its the plastic bumper support that is behind the fitted bumper to which the bumper fixes on to.

I am now wondering if the ED30 has a different bumper support to the GTI as I have done everything to try and resolve it without getting :zx11: and kicking it :aargh4:?

I removed one the other week from a MK5 golf..

If i remember right the hinges are oval so you maybe able to undo slightly and re-fasten given an extra 3mm of clearance..

Let me get a picture of the tail gate i have in the garage to show you..

Rick

RickT
16-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I removed one the other week from a MK5 golf..

If i remember right the hinges are oval so you maybe able to undo slightly and re-fasten given an extra 3mm of clearance..

Let me get a picture of the tail gate i have in the garage to show you..

Rick

Ignore the above... i was wrong... it must of been on something else I saw that!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/Golf%20Parts/Picture036.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/Golf%20Parts/Picture033.jpg

Cheers

Rick

shaft-50
16-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi R

Thanks for trying mate.

Have visited my bodyshop and dealers, think the option i have is to put vw's boot protection film which sticks on the upper part of teh rear bumper. Will try this out if not might have to glue the bumper down to stop it from rubbing !!

Ben
16-04-2009, 03:33 PM
they don't look adjustable to me.

I'd concerntrate on the bumper.

Did you get my pm?

kenney
16-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Ignore the above... i was wrong... it must of been on something else I saw that!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/Golf%20Parts/Picture036.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s13/RickT_album/Golf%20Parts/Picture033.jpg

Cheers

RickThere is a certain amount of adjustment when you loosen the 2 bolts.

shaft-50
17-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Guys, thanks for the responses. :beerchug:

Have bought the protective film from VW today. Gonna stick it on tom (weather allowing). Hopefully this will solve the scuffing problem and protect my bumpers paint.

shaft-50
18-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Well without fiddling with the boot lid bolts I have fitted vw's clear protective bumper protective film on my bumper. Was fairly easy to do, maybe because it is pre-cut in shape.

Lets hope it solves my problem :smashfrea