PDA

View Full Version : Another 'Chrome Grill' Thread!

damo140
11-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Thought I would share a couple of photos, thanks to James Tiger Woo for the Grill, much appreciated :beerchug:
Not too difficult to put on, plenty of patience and a steady hand is all you need!!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m10/damianmccoy/Passat/P1010433a.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m10/damianmccoy/Passat/P1010435a.jpg

Slick
11-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Looks good :bigok:

jonsey24
11-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Just done mine today, im happy with the results it makes the car look classy, i intially done round the fogs at the bottom but after some deliberation i decided to remove the chrome trim from there as it was a little OTT.

How do i put some pics up on here?

johnloaderuk
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
It really does lift the car a peg or two up the looks league table. I don't know why VW didn't fit the chrome grill as standard, as my wife had a previous Passat B5.5 base S model and even that had a chrome grill as standard back then.

Now, where's my nearest Lidl.

patomlin76
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM
That looks really good. I looked at some chrome grill fittings on ebay from the US but it would have cost around £20.

Could you give more details of how you had to fit them, and how you got them to match with the existing chrome grill at the ends (i.e diagonal cuts to match?).

I agree that VW should have released some models with this style grill - it actually looks OEM when you do the centre 'moustach' but does look well OTT when you try the fog covers too.

I'm seriously considering getting this done as well.

thanks!
paul

jonsey24
12-04-2009, 04:26 AM
You can get the chrome trim currently at your local Lidl store, they sell a roll of it for £11.99.
There are 2 different sizes of chrome trim in Lidl, You need to get the 7mm wide trim then cut to length accordingly, i done mine today using a sharp pair of scissors it cuts easily as its only chrome coated plastic.
the trim has a 3M self adhesive backing that sticks to the front egde of the grill slats, as for the angles just follow the natural angles of the grill slats, you will see what i mean when you look closely.

All in all if you take your time it should be done within 40 minutes

Quatrelle
12-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Could you give more details of how you had to fit them, and how you got them to match with the existing chrome grill at the ends (i.e diagonal cuts to match?).
I put some pics up recently on the other thread which might be useful.

Spudrig
12-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I have done around the fogs (well mine doesn'y have fogs as its an S :p), so here is a pic if it

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m406/Spudrig/3D94FA84.jpg

My indicator lenses are now clear too :D

jonsey24
12-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I think the extra chrome around where the fogs go looks good if you dont have any fogs because its a continuous strip across the bottom.
Anyone with fogs might also like the look when its done but for me it looked too bitty and not very OEM and the chrome strip sticks out a bit from the slats, when its fitted onto the main grill you can tuck the corners in against the original chrome grill edge which cleans the look up.

Quatrelle
12-04-2009, 08:01 PM
It's good Spudrig.

I didn't do the bottom of mine because I think it would make it look too long and droopy, but doing the fogs (which I can't) balances it up nicely.:fing02:

Spudrig
13-04-2009, 09:18 AM
It's good Spudrig.

I didn't do the bottom of mine because I think it would make it look too long and droopy, but doing the fogs (which I can't) balances it up nicely.:fing02:

Cheers :beerchug:

blackadder79
13-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know where to get the chrome strip that sits round the VW badge on the grill in order to complete the "SEL" look?:confused: