PDA

View Full Version : Audi Bluetooth: now 3 choices...

cpd1
10-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Been doing a bit research but I am not much that wiser. I am in the final stages of speccing my Allroad and have to finalize order next week.
Initially had selected Bluetooth high as I was under the impression only that option would allow full integration with MMI.
However it seems Low does that but if one wants to use the car aerial you need a cradle, not required with high if your phone supports rSAP bluetooth profile. To confuse matter further Audi starting offering this week a 3rd and much cheaper option on MY2010 which I am assuming is similar to Low in features except it doesn't come with an optional cradle that allows use of car's aerial?
If so and it still offers full MMI/steering wheel integration of address book and numbers, it sounds like an easy way to save £££...

Found a very useful post here (http://www.audi-forums.com/c6-forum/49800-blackberry-phone-compatibility-phone-prep-low.html) which makes a bit more sense of teh choices b/w Low and High. Will try to find out more info from dealer tomorrow on the new/cheaper option. Of course dealer detailed knowledge of this is: the more expensive the better....

Any info/input greatly appreciated

9ZX: Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface. Provides handsfree connection via Bluetooth using mobile phone aerial. Please contact your Audi centre for phone compatibility. £100

PT5: Mobile telephone preparation – Low. In front centre armrest. Uses Bluetooth interface or cradle to connect to your A4, including roof aerial for optimal reception. Includes centre armrest for Standard trim models. A phone cradle is required for charging your phone, at extra cost. Please contact your Audi Centre for details of phone compatibility (cannot be combined with Chorus radio) £365

9ZW: Mobile telephone preparation – High. Uses Bluetooth interface with no physical connection to your A4, including roof aerial for optimal reception. Please note that your mobile phone must have SIM-Access Profile facility for full functionality (only in combination with a Technology package) £635

ScottyUK
10-04-2009, 02:58 PM
My take on the four options :

[1] BT interface : uses "handsfree" mode - is what most people need and normally perfectly adequate

[2] Prep - Low : Connector for docking/charging phone (providing you buy an adaptor) with a roof aerial in addition to the "BT interface". Apaptor could be the RSAP one so it's like Prep - High

[3] Prep - High : The RSAP solution and does without "BT Interface"

[4] Prep - High with handset. Why would you bother??? :confused:

All intergrate into MMI to different levels.

Handsfree : is great and does most of what you'll want most of the time but you've no charging option or external aerial.

Prep - Low : seems the best bet as you can upgrade it to Prep - High by buying the RSAP adaptor if you want or you can also use just the handsfree functionality. The Exec pack includes this and is a good deal.

Prep - High seems too restrictive and limits you to only phones with RSAP ability. It's also expensive. It also won't allow you to continue your call when getting in or out the car (Handsfree/Prep - Low does).

The above is my understanding of them after looking into this before buying. I'd be grateful for information from people if they believe it's wrong

ScottyUK
10-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Of course dealer detailed knowledge of this is: the more expensive the better....

You do realise you used the words "knowledge" and "dealer" in the same sentance don't you? :confused::(

;)

cpd1
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
yeah fair point, must have typed too fast, clearly a combination of words that should NEVER be used :D
I'll make sure I bring your MY2010 details tomorrow to the dealer no doubt it will be new news to my salesman ;)

Agreed with your take, option 4 not even worth considering, Low offers the most flexibility but the £100 option sounds nice, at least not the usual Audi overpriced option, think about the number of gadgets which include bluetooth, you can get a dongle for £10 these days...

jakerade
10-04-2009, 06:20 PM
having used rsap i can see the point of 4 but not at audi's price. You cant use your phone whilst its connected so if you want to make a quick call thats not on handsfree whilst parked up you can use a handset.

Having messed around with all this your best option is to buy a Nokia 616 rsap phone kit for £200ish. Gives you everything Audi does but works 200 times better. I had one in my B7 and it was so much better.

Push the voice dial button, say the name and it dials. None of this "dial name" and it wants to delete it, "pardon", "possible commands are" etc etc!

Having said that how you would wire it into a B8 i have no idea!