PDA

View Full Version : Replace the small speaker beside the wing mirror

essexexpat
10-04-2009, 09:55 AM
2001 TDI SE. There is a small speaker on the front door on the inside of the wing mirror. One of these has blown. Has anyone changed theirs and if so where do I get a replacemnt from, cost and how difficult is it to change?

snapdragon
10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Either dealer, scrapyard/ebay or if you want third party, http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/132/201/TS-H1703/specs.html
are a high-quality supposed direct replacement of factory speakers for around £60.

ddave05
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
In order to replace the "tweeter" you will need to take the door card off. There are 2 screws (I think) on the bottom of the door card which uses a hex or allan key. There are 2 more phillips head screw on the inside of the door handle. For this you will need to take the grab handle cover off, but be careful because the plastic is fairly easy to scratch and damage. From there it is plain sailing - you will need to disconnect the locking mechanism and the electrical connections. The tweeter cover should them pull off and the speaker itself is shrouded in polystyrene.

ashab02
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
2001 TDI SE. There is a small speaker on the front door on the inside of the wing mirror. One of these has blown. Has anyone changed theirs and if so where do I get a replacemnt from, cost and how difficult is it to change?

Hello
I changed mine with some tweeters from Maplin. You have to trim the surround a bit but to be honest you have to replace the whole lot if you getting a new set. They sound perfect.