PDA

View Full Version : Question Reverse light stuck on

the surfer
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I've recently had my gearbox stripped down and repaired by a VW dealer; now the reverse light is staying on constantly!

Does anyone know what the likely cause of this could be? Any idea how long it will take to fix? In other words, when I take it back in to them next week, is it something I can wait for, or will they need the car for a while?

Thanks in advance.

Mini Mark
09-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Do they have a reverse light switch is it sticking? I know every so often in my mini if I change gears quickly from 4th to 5th the reverse lights flick on

the surfer
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Do they have a reverse light switch is it sticking? I know every so often in my mini if I change gears quickly from 4th to 5th the reverse lights flick on

I'm not sure, it's either of two things: they reconnected the switch incorrectly; or, they broke the switch while carrying out the repair on the gearbox.

The service advisor said, over the phone, that it might be something internal (inside the gearbox), would this mean it needs completely stripping out again and reassembling!?

I need to know roughly how long this may take to fix as no courtesy cars are available, again.

knt
09-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Luck hasn't been on your side recently, might be worth buying a lottery ticket.

the surfer
09-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Luck hasn't been on your side recently, might be worth buying a lottery ticket.

Not with my car, no! Luck certainly hasn't been on my side!

I made a commitment yesterday that once I've got this fixed, I'm never going to use a franchised dealership again, ever!

Too little, too late, eh....

RickT
09-04-2009, 10:54 PM
The switch is making acircuit causing the light to stay on..

A new switch will solve it more than likely, the switch is on the top of the gear box.... take 15 mins to do.

Rick

the surfer
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
The switch is making acircuit causing the light to stay on..

A new switch will solve it more than likely, the switch is on the top of the gear box.... take 15 mins to do.

Rick

Just the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

What's the odds that they won't have one in stock...