PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 td1 over-boost valve problem(115 golf)

aaron
02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi, wondered if anyone could offer me some advice on a recuring problem I'm getting with my car, which I'm guessing is a common tdi problem?

Around 12 months ago my car started dropping to reduced power when on the motorway.
There would sudenly be an abrupt loss of power, which I believe was due to the turbo cutting out. The only way to regain power was to switch the ignition off momentarily and re-start. the car would then be fine for e few seconds or a few weeks, with little predictability.

I knew exactly what the problem was having had the same problem on a mk3 tdi. I was told by the garage that the faulty valve is called an over-boost valve. I think it cuts power if the turbo over-pressurises the engine, but as the valve gets weak it opens prematurely, at normal pressures.

As the problem got more frequent (seaming to be linked to cold weather)Changing the valve instantly solved the problem.

six months later the problem randomly happened in a one off case, but now a year after replacing the valve it has started to fail quite regularly.

Does anyone know if there is any other reason why the valve would be failing, other than just a quality issue. Could there be another problem with the car?

If it is simply the case that these valves have a limmited life, is there any aftermarket part available as a better alternative to the VAG part?

Many thanks
Aaron

Dieseldawg
01-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I bought a TDI 100bhp nearly two years ago. It used to loose power when I was accelerating and the garage found a 'turbo boost error'. They fiddled around with it and seemed to solve the problem for a while. It has now started to this again quite regularly - the power goes and it the car has the acceleration of a slug. If I turn of the ignition it re-sets itself and everything is OK until the next time. I now have a diagnosis that the turbo is faulty. It can either be stripped down and cleaned or replaced at a total cost of £1k! I'm looking into the possibility of a reconditioned one since the strip down won't guarantee that it will solve the problem.
Not the best of news but it may help.

Regards

Dieseldawg:1zhelp:

spencer
25-10-2007, 08:55 PM
hi mate i had the same prob on my 1.9tdi audi .i was told to replace this and that but it still over boosted the problem was in the waste gate it was sticking so a mate of mine checked it sprayed wd 40 on it and every thing is fine so far i hoped this works for you :o