PDA

View Full Version : Question Fuel consumption on TDI EOS with DSG

grennie
08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I recently did a 400 mile round trip on motorways at 70-75 (where possible) and returned an average of 45 mpg. Is this what I should get with this car in the real world as my previous diesels were more economical.

Teflon
18-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice day with the top down? On the petrol model mpg seems to take a drop when you are enjoying the sun.

40-45mpg seems poor, my bigger, heavier Passat diesel easliy manages over 50mpg at those speeds.

grennie
21-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice day with the top down? On the petrol model mpg seems to take a drop when you are enjoying the sun.

40-45mpg seems poor, my bigger, heavier Passat diesel easliy manages over 50mpg at those speeds.

Thanks for your reply. I was curious and checked the weights and believe it or not my EOS is heavier than your bigger Passat. All that roof mechanism and strengthening takes its toll but I still think I should be managing better mpg. The problem now is what to do about it. I have already chipped the engine.

Teflon
21-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Probably not with all the kerapp I carry around in it!

Maybe the chip is your problem. VW spends squillions on optimising engine management software for performance & economy, but chipping is a much lower budget process that usually concentrates on grunt. There is no such thing as a free lunch, so why not try returning it to standard spec and see what the mpg is? Are you really using all the extra performance from chipping anyway?

The wife's turbo petrol EOS generally does better than my (lighter) Golf (so long as the roof is up), so I suspect it comes out of the factory better otimised for economy than the GTI with the same engine.

eos08
25-05-2009, 10:40 PM
35 mile run to work at 70-75 gives 50mpg :Blush: on my TDI with DSG but put the roof down and it drops to 40mpg max, but thats what it's all about enjoy the open air motoring :biglaugh: !!!!

colin s
12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I typically get approx 50mpg at steady 70mph cruise (drops to mid 40s if cruising at 80-85). On my regular 25 mile cross-country route to work (hilly) it averages 55-56mpg, occasipnaly 57-59 - amazing. On the same route on (typically faster) drive home it drops to 48-50mpg. It's very consistent day to day.

eos08
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM
roof up or down? It's all down to drag;)