PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Audi S3 2002 Clutch fault

B0re
07-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi All,
I need some help I have a S3 (225) remap 275 2002 I have some vibration from the gear knob and also from the clutch peddle when coming off the accelerator a few times after parking the car i could smell a clutch burning smell the front of the car this could be from my driving style! There is some over revving when applying the clutch peddle but none when accelerating! I am thinking there are 2 faults ?
I have order a new clutch Sachs clutch and Sachs hydraulic centre bearing I have had a quotation from a friend to fit it for me he’s is saying around £350 the total fitted is around £550
Do you think in should replace the Duel mass flywheel?
What happens when they go ?

Thanks for ya help

stickymonkey
27-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi B0re,

Been thinking about cluth and dmf for my 53 plate s3, i had a 1st gear selection prob, so, foolishly drove using 2nd gear to pull away, fearing having to pay big bucks to repair gearbox this went on for about 6 months. i eventually got the gear selector re-threaded ( £80 ) wot a muppet...!!:buttkick:

this has now left me with a s3 that slipps like a bitch everytime i touch the turbo..

i have been pricing up parts and labour, apparently about 8 hrs to change CLUTCH plus 1 hr for the DMF. therefore in my neck of the woods its about 280 before VAT and about 325 inc vat for the labour

Clutch unipart = £224 inc vat
Clutch Luk = £170 inc vat

DMF unipart = £287 inc vat
DMF Luk = £378 inc vat

I not sure about your or my dmf but the garage man gave me the impression that he wont know if my car needs a new dmf until he splits it.!!

B0re why did you go for the sachs stuff is it because that you s3 is upgraded or that they are better quality and you get what you pay for ?

does anyone think that one make is better than another ?

how do you pick a quality clutch and what are the benefits ?

cheers sm

SEMKY
28-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Hey guys, I fitted a unipart clutch in a car a few years back...not an S3 granted, but it was destroyed within a year.
Personally, I reckon the S3 will eat a unipart clutch with some exuberant driving....go for the better (and consequently more expensive) ones....rather than paying the 8 hours labour each year, put the extra money toward better gear.

Or as the old saying goes.....buy cheap? buy twice!

This is just my opinion of course! ;)

B0re
28-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Stickymonkey,

I noticed on removing my clutch that the clutch forks around the clutch cover were badly scored the cause was the hydraulic bearing had seized. Once I had fitted clutch I took it for a drive the clutch pedal felt like it was not connected its fantastic the vibration is still there lol but I seem to have cured a fault I didn’t know I had lol. I have now found the fault engine mounts.

Ok! After having a read though you question I believe I might be able to save you some money and get you the better parts and a better price. I paid the following

For the face lift model 2002 on

Sachs clutch kit £140
DMF LUK - £185
Sachs hydraulic centre bearing - £55

I looked into the book times and found that the face lift model of the S3 2002 on is 6.8hr

If you send me your full specification on your car I will see if I can help you get a better deal on parts

I think you should replace all the parts (The 3 listed above) because if you were to ever have a gearbox or clutch fault after fitting clutch only you would never forgive yourself and you would be faced with a gear box out cost again. And it gives you piece of mind knowing it’s all done also you might have a fault like I did with knowing.