PDA

View Full Version : Problems

iallen1@btinter
07-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Has anyone got any niggles yet, a button on my stereo needs pressing really hard to operate it and a mysterious rattle came on tonight while driving home, hope it sorts itself. MK 6 golf

machine
08-04-2009, 01:00 AM
I've got a button that needs a harder push too. it's the 4th ot 5th preset radio button.

And a slight rattle that I think is coming from the plastic bit that runs along the top edge of the engine bay (where the wipers sit) when I'm driving at motorway speed.

Neither is a issue worthy of attention though.

iallen1@btinter
08-04-2009, 06:10 PM
mine is the second button, is yours the mk6?

machine
09-04-2009, 12:25 AM
yep mk6 1.4 SE.

Rhigour
10-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Interesting one this morning. Started the car and backed out the garage, car gave a shudder and engine stopped. Re started the engine bit it was not running right and would not tick over. Went indoors and muttered more than a few incantations. Came out 10 Min's later and car started and ran perfectly, now what was that all about ?:aargh4: 1.4 SE 122PS engine DSG box

WeegieBob
10-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Computers have a lot to do with engine managment and do things sometimes that leave you scratching your head.

I once encountered the "limp home" function which basically allows a car to be driven at a greatly reduced speed and no matter how hard you floor the accelerator it just won't go any faster than the computer's pre-set speed. I wonder if a safety function had kicked in in yours - did you start it the previous evening from cold, ran it for a very short time i.e. 30 - 40 seconds and then switch off? The reason for asking is sometimes your fuel delivery system is still "flooded" (for the want of a better word) after a short cold start & stop and I believe the engine managment system recognises that as too much fuel next time you start and initiates some kind of computer controlled compensation.

WeegieBob. ;)

Rhigour
10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Computers have a lot to do with engine managment and do things sometimes that leave you scratching your head.

I once encountered the "limp home" function which basically allows a car to be driven at a greatly reduced speed and no matter how hard you floor the accelerator it just won't go any faster than the computer's pre-set speed. I wonder if a safety function had kicked in in yours - did you start it the previous evening from cold, ran it for a very short time i.e. 30 - 40 seconds and then switch off? The reason for asking is sometimes your fuel delivery system is still "flooded" (for the want of a better word) after a short cold start & stop and I believe the engine managment system recognises that as too much fuel next time you start and initiates some kind of computer controlled compensation.

WeegieBob. ;)

Possibly, I had left it out and started up just to run it into the garage (20 secs). Did same this evening so will see what tomorrow morning brings me. Thanks for the thought.

bilen123
21-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Folks

Just picked up my 1.4TSI 122 DSG for the for wife. Fab car only the DSG does not work like a proper auto....Hill starts are the issue
Car creeps ok on level ground and I wilud expect that creep on the hill preventing it from rolling back...but it dies not. Instead (if you have hill start enabled) you have about 2s to trasnfer your foot from brake to accelorator to avoid roilling back and if you are not careful you can take off if the hit the acceleorator to jhard - either way a problem.
You may as well have a manual and find the bitting point yourself.
Wife is not pleased as (like with the masrk 4 golf) she expected to have an auto that works as an auto

I suspect this will be an issue for the older folk (without being too unkind)

Keep you distance from a VW DSG if you are on a hill JUST IN CASE!!!!!

HHGTTG
21-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Folks

Just picked up my 1.4TSI 122 DSG for the for wife. Fab car only the DSG does not work like a proper auto....Hill starts are the issue
Car creeps ok on level ground and I wilud expect that creep on the hill preventing it from rolling back...but it dies not. Instead (if you have hill start enabled) you have about 2s to trasnfer your foot from brake to accelorator to avoid roilling back and if you are not careful you can take off if the hit the acceleorator to jhard - either way a problem.
You may as well have a manual and find the bitting point yourself.
Wife is not pleased as (like with the masrk 4 golf) she expected to have an auto that works as an auto

I suspect this will be an issue for the older folk (without being too unkind)

My friend has problems with his DSG Jetta. He has always being very heavy-footed and if you suddenly and quickly press the accelerator without finesse the axle 'winds up' if that's possible and can cause nasty jerks and leaps forward.
I think that is where a torque converter on a 'proper' automatic, irons things out and gives a much smoother conversion from being stationary to motion especially if in a hurry.
In theory the DSG system is fine but in reality these semi-automatics, whilst very quick, have their downside. I thinkd that familiarity with driving it may bring an improvement.

JoseSpring
21-04-2009, 06:18 PM

How will you know it's a DSG?! Before it rolls back into you, that is...

bilen123
22-04-2009, 08:13 AM
good point! Assume they all are!....it could be my wife driving

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Not wishing to state the obvious or to be rude, but did you not test drive the car and gearbox before buying it ?

I must admit I did not, this was due to the fact in April last year they were as rare as hen's teeth - but instead I did research on the internet (and on here) into the DSG.

bilen123
22-04-2009, 11:57 AM
fair cop only I buy my Mrs a new motor every 3-4 years and to be honest we don't test drive anything!...never feel the need to

Huw01
28-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Anyone had any irritating rattles from behind the dash? I think a quick trip to the dealer might be in order...:aargh4:

JoseSpring
28-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Anyone had any irritating rattles from behind the dash? I think a quick trip to the dealer might be in order...:aargh4:

I've got an occasion and fairly quiet rattle that seems to come from the far left hand corner of the dash. I've yet to empty the glovebox and see if its just the slowly growing collection of tat in there.

Can you describe yours?

Huw01
28-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah - sounds like creaking more than a rattle really. I think there are two parts rubbing when I'm on an uneven road or going over a bump. Appeared over night- I must admit that I'm being a bit sad at the moment, driving about without the radio and marveling at how quiet the ride is (compared to my old diesel A3) so when this appeared I noticed immediately!
Seems to be originating from the central part of the dash towards the windscreen. Will let you know what the dealer says.

machine
29-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I've got an occasion and fairly quiet rattle that seems to come from the far left hand corner of the dash. I've yet to empty the glovebox and see if its just the slowly growing collection of tat in there.

Can you describe yours?

I get one from that area at motorway speeds, I think it's coming form the trim where the wipers park vibrating.

Rhigour
30-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I always put a handfull of coins and the house keys in the cuddy between the front seats . Saves all that listening and worrying about where the noises are coming from.

HHGTTG
30-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I always put a handfull of coins and the house keys in the cuddy between the front seats . Saves all that listening and worrying about where the noises are coming from.
It is always preferable to create your own source of a noise, over which you have control. You then know that you can stop it any time.

djradium
30-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Can you describe yours?

I have a rattle from the same area, push the top left hand corner of the glovebox in and it disappears, glove box open the rattle is still there.

Since this is my 1st new car, can you really take the thing to the dealers for annoying rattles and such ?

HHGTTG
30-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a rattle from the same area, push the top left hand corner of the glovebox in and it disappears, glove box open the rattle is still there.

Since this is my 1st new car, can you really take the thing to the dealers for annoying rattles and such ?
I would have thought that dashboard/fascia rattles that were numerous in our MK 5's would have been addressed in the MK 6. However, open the passenger's door and see whether there is a moveable panel at the end of the fascia, as there is in the MK 5. If so, remove it and see whether any nuts and bolts are loose - it shouldn't be like this, really.