PDA

View Full Version : Please Help DSG rattle.

sgtbanjo
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi, I noticed at the weekend when parked next to a wall with my window open (sunny day!), that with my engine running there is an extra 'rattle' that can be heard with the DSG in N or P. This persists until I put my DSG box into either D or R (footbrake applied). If possible, could anyone else with a diesel DSG (or any DSG I guess) try this to see if it is normal behaviour or whether I should get it looked into.

Further info - the rattle sounds just lke a diesel rattle but more of a tick, it's difficult to explain but suffice to say you know if you hear it. It's not very loud though.

Anyway - enough for now, if anyone could try this I'd be grateful.

Cheers

s_line682
23-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi, i have also experinced this problem, when i come to a standstill the car seems to rattle a lot untill i start moving again, the rattl stops wen i put it in N but starts as soon as i put it back in D.

Any help with this could be great, I'm hoping its not a major problem.

Thanks

sgtbanjo
23-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Your issue sounds different to mine. I have a slight extra rattle in Neutral or Park which dissappears in any Drive gear. VW Tech says that in N or P there is no tension within the gearbox and clutch which will sound slightly different to when a Drive gear is selected. He also said that the only thing to worry about is having The DSG box serviced, oil and filter, every 40,000 miles and that it's quite critical to do this on time.

paul.mgrath
23-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Might be unconnected, i have a 6speed manual and it sounds like a bottom end clunk going clunk, clunk, clunk then stops for 2 - 3 secs and does it again. Only does it when the car is in neutral with the clutch out, as soon as the clutch is pressed it stops.

It is more noticeable when cold and seems to all but disappear when fluids are warm.

I have been told it is possibly the dual mass flywheel (they all do it apparently and nothing to worry about??)

sgtbanjo
23-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Mines more of a rattle than a clunk. It actually sounds a bit like a noisy clutch release bearing.