PDA

View Full Version : Is this standard behaviour?

sgtbanjo
07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Oh my god! this new car is driving me nuts. If I have the radio on and remove the key sometimes the radio stops (switches off) and sometimes it stays on until I either unlock the doors with the unlock button or pull my handle to get out of the car. I can cope with either behaviour but both types in what appears to be random amounts is driving me bonkers.

Also today I left someone sat in my car, key in ignition, listening to the radio, when I returned to the car and opened my door, the sound muted until I got in the car and closed the door. I could not reproduce this behaviour again. I've reckoned to RTFM but can't find anything about these behaviours.

Thirdly, sometimes when I unlock the car, the red led on the drivers door stays on bright red until I lock and unlock the car again.

I'm beginning to think I've bought a pup.

Any help greatly appreciated.

radox
07-04-2009, 09:02 PM
It does sound like something funny is going on with your radio. If you turn off the ignition before turning off the radio, the radio should turn itself off automatically. It would then turn itself back on automatically the next time you turn on the ignition. However, whilst off, and without your keys in the ignition, you can manually turn the radio on.

As far as I am aware there is no connection between the radio and the doors opening/locking.

I do faintly remember some people have had problems with their Mk V's radio turning themselves on by themselves (in the middle of the night!). You might have a form of this problem. Best get the radio checked out.

Finally the red LED indicates the status of your car's central locking/alarm. Usually it just flashes when everything is well. I think the red LED staying means there is a problem with the alarm/central locking system. Again, best get it checked out.

Hope that helps. Sorry to hear your new car's ownership has got off to a shaky start.
Stuart
http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

sgtbanjo
07-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your reply Stuart,

I have since noticed a pattern! If, while listening to the radio I come to a standstill and turn off the engine and remove the key immediately, the radio switches off, however, if I sit in the vehicle after engine off with the radio on and key still in for a length of time, say 5 minutes, when I remove the key, the radio stays on until I try to exit the car whereupon it turns off. It's almost like it knows that I'm listening to the radio. Twighlight zone or what! I should mention that I have the auto lock (anti hijack) function activated on my car so the doors are locked when travelling.

Just to clarify with the LED. When the car is locked there is never a problem, it always flashes. Only when I unlock it does the LED stay illuminated and only sometimes.

I think you're correct though and I should take it back to the dealer just to be on the safe side. I've got a full years warranty left yet I can see me becoming a regular as I'm suffering dash rattles from the upper dashboard tray and steering cowl too!

Mini Mark
07-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Just a thought does the led stay illuminated when you only press the button once ie only unlock the drivers door if so is it something to do with the pasanger doors being locked??

sgtbanjo
07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
To be honest I've not noticed whether it's one or two presses but as soon as I lock and unlock again it goes out. I'll make a note next time it happens.