PDA

View Full Version : a6 tdi power loss

DAZA6866
02-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi,
Found this site to be very usefull and has some v-interesting info. So here goes with my problem:
A6 - 2.5TDI (1998 - 78Kmiles). Recenlty the car has suffered a severe power loss and the engine will intermittently limit to 3000 revs max. It ticks over fine but the power loss is major (around 80%), it also feels that the turbo is not responding at this time. The engine management light (glow plug light) also comes on flashing after about 20 seconds after starting the engine an stays flashing.

After reading some of the discussions I am suspecting the air flow meter?

Any help would be appreciated before I have to take my cheque book to the vag dealership.

stuart
02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi, thanks for joining the site..:)

Air flow metres, as you will find reading a few other threads/posts on here are very common to fail on almost all VAG cars. The biggest symptom is a loss of power, but I am not sure why the engine management light comes on:( unless the unit has well and truly failed.

I would try either Euro Car Parts, or GSF for a replacement, should be cheaper than a dealer.

Stuart

DAZA6866
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Stuart,
Thanks for the advice. I read this part is easy to replace just a coiuple of screws? if the warning light is flashing will it need to be reset by the dealer? I was thinking of taking it to our local VW garage as the audi dealership is 25 miles away, is it just vag dealers who can reset the fault log/warning light?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

stuart
02-01-2006, 02:03 PM
In most cases it is just a couple of screws, and a wiring block.

I would imagine that most garages now have some form of diagnostic equipment which will reset the light.

If you take it to a VW specilaist I would imagine they should have no problem in doing it for you.

Stuart

rossoco
16-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Hey there ,

Forgive me if this question has already been asked (AND FOR PUTTING IT IN A6 SECTION)but here i go anyhow. I bought my first Audi last night ,Its an A4 estate, its year 2000 1.9tdi 110 . I collected the car late last night and drove it 250 miles home from Belfast . With 70miles or so left to go i noticed there had been a major loss of power , the turbo seems to have stopped working, in 5th gear it is not able to pull itself above 80mph or so , the power loss is clear through all the gears :confused: .otherwise it seems to be driving ok. Its got 113k miles on the clock and a service history .otherwise the the car is very clean and tight, it had plenty of power up to then. At the time it happened i was fairly pushing the car and had been doing up to 110mph at times. :( . trying to get home to bed.
At one stage i pulled in , switched off ignition and when i restarted the word 'service!!' appeared on the small screen....... So ... Have I made a balls of it already?.. any ideas?
All the best
Ross

clogman
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
See this thread:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1599

Try unplugging the MAF for a SHORT run to see if the engine performance comes back. If not, it's something else and you'll need a friendly engineer.

If it is the MAF, make a note of the Bosch part number and go take a look on Ebay - loads of proper Bosch sensors at non-Audi prices.

toff
15-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I've unearthed some info that might be relevant for other people searching for a resolution to this problem:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/15707/audi_a4_25_tdi_quattro.html

Regards - Alex.

dandam
16-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Just changed the Air Mass Meter Sensor on my A6 2.5 TDi Quattro, 99 and 133k miles - and the difference is amazing, revs strongly through to 5k revs now rather than 3k, feels like a new car, best £45 and ten minutes work I have spent on a car.

I only changed the sensor rather than the whole meter, little bit cheaper. Was advised though to avoid eBay, too many cheap far east produced parts that will last about three weeks.

:beerchug:

pugville
17-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey there ,

Forgive me if this question has already been asked (AND FOR PUTTING IT IN A6 SECTION)but here i go anyhow. I bought my first Audi last night ,Its an A4 estate, its year 2000 1.9tdi 110 . I collected the car late last night and drove it 250 miles home from Belfast . With 70miles or so left to go i noticed there had been a major loss of power , the turbo seems to have stopped working, in 5th gear it is not able to pull itself above 80mph or so , the power loss is clear through all the gears :confused: .otherwise it seems to be driving ok. Its got 113k miles on the clock and a service history .otherwise the the car is very clean and tight, it had plenty of power up to then. At the time it happened i was fairly pushing the car and had been doing up to 110mph at times. :( . trying to get home to bed.
At one stage i pulled in , switched off ignition and when i restarted the word 'service!!' appeared on the small screen....... So ... Have I made a balls of it already?.. any ideas?
All the best
Ross

I had a similar prob with a A4 TDI 110, I changed the air mass and all the usual MAF & MAP etc etc. When i finally had given up hope of repair at a reasonable cost i dropped it in to audi. It happened to be a clogged fuel filter( That i had changed only 4 weeks previously), Dirty diseal from the pump clogged the filter and wasn't letting enough fuel through. Hope this helps??