PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed pleease!

shroomo
22-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello! I currently own a VW Golf Mk4 1.6SE and now the insurance is a bit more affordable i'd like to upgrade! I was going to get the Mk4 Golf GT TDI 150, but after owning a golf for 2 years I wanted to try something a little different... so here I am in the Audi A3 forum! I know quite a bit about the golf range but not much about the A3, so I'm here for a bit of advice. I know I want a diesel as I clock up the miles very quickly, but at the same time if I put my foot down it has to produce a big stupid grin on my face! Is there an Audi equivelant to the GT TDI golf? I did an insurance check on a 2.0TDI A3 (04 plate I think) and it was affordable... just. Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

Kris

prolfe
23-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi

I spent about six months trying to decide how to spend my new car allowance from work.

The best advise I can give is to research the costs and then test drive each of the models you are interested in. Ask the dealer for an extended test drive, for at least 3-4 hours if not longer.

This way you will get to live with the car for half a day. Do the mundane things you normally do as well as giving it a good drive around the lanes.

Try and drive on every type of road as well, so that when you own the car it doesn't surprise you by showing how bad it is on motorways, etc etc.

I was lucky enough to be able to get a new car but the principles should be the same.

As for the costs, look at insurance, urban mpg (as this is the more likely economy you will achieve), tyre costs and also servicing costs. Get it all onto a spreadsheet and compare them.

When I was looking I drove a 120d SE, Leon FR 170, Golf GT TDi 170 DSG, A3 Sportback 170 S-line and the 140 Sportback.

I found the dealers had a big part in my experience.

BMW - helpfull and willing to give me a car but also a bit pushy - always calling me
Seat - very friendly and helpfull but not willing to give me a car for more than 20 minutes
VW - Salesman did not have a clue about the model I was driving, but instead of saying that he was not sure, he proceeded to lie. He was also the only one of the four who slagged off the others. "the four rings on the Audi is the extra noughts on the price" - in my opinion, very unprofessional
Audi - had a brilliant time with them, nothing was too much effort, take any car for however long, even on the day I walked in with a quote from DriveTheDeal, they took it and matched it, no questions asked.

They are the people you have to go back to when you need help, so if they cannot help you to begin with, then what are they going to be like later on.

I know I am still rambling on, but it took so long to decide. I loved the Golf, and it was cheaper(i also used to have a GTi so knew I would love it)

The A3 won me over, it felt so damn quick mid range compared to the Golf, I know they use different ECU's. Even the 140BHP A3 felt quick.

Hope this helps in some way, and hope it didn't bore you.

verderad
23-03-2007, 11:09 PM
I have just handed back my Mk4 Golf 1.9TDI 130 :biglaugh: and taken a Sportback 140 SE. I thought that the Golf was a great car and the new Golf 170 was on the top of the list, but with 2nd child on the way wanted a bit of extra boot space, and the Audi looks great. The only problem I have is that the Audi seat is not great even with the lumbar support option added. The seat in the golf was (both old and new) was great.
The golf will come with all the extras but I had to get the SE just to get the same spec as the golf (no trip computer!!). Probably allowed myself to be blinded by the A3's looks, nice car and I am sure I will get used to the seat.

shroomo
24-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Cheers for the advise guys, I'll have a browse around then at the different models and get some info. Do you know a website with details on all the different A3's?

It seems the 170 + 140 sportback are quite popular. Are these diesel models? My Golf 1.6 is 105bhp and up till recently it has been pleanty, so even the 140 im sure will slap that all-important grin on my face! I live in a very country area as well so maybe it would be best not to go crazy on power and concerntrate more on the handling.

:beerchug:

prolfe
25-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Both the 140 and the 170 are Diesels.

According to What Car the Golf handles better than the A3. I personally think though that unless you get to test drive lots of cars over lots of miles every year, then you're not gonna know.

My A3 makes me smile. I have just come back from the local takeaway, a short blast down a dual carriageway with no rozzers and i was looking at 145. This is the first and last time I shall be visiting that kinda speed, I can now bathe in the knowledge that it goes that quick.

The 140 I had was very nice, it suprised me with it's mid range acceleration, I used to have a 125bhp (stupid) laguna company car with the same 0-60 and top speed, but the 140 A3 would of just blown it away through the gears.

Use Audi's website as the current facelift MkII has been around for a while.

Audi will be soon releasing a 1.8 TFSI again.

You can get an A3 in 3 and 5 door

ignoring the S3 and 3.2 you can get:

Quattro (4wd) with manual gearbox only
S-Tronic (DSG) Automatic gearbox (with launch control and paddle shift)

With SE, Sport and S-Line Trim

SE - Cruise Control
Sport - Sports Seats and Sports Suspension (no cruise)
S-Line - 18" alloys and bodykit

Petrol
1.6 FSI
2.0 FSI
2.0 TFSI

Diesel
1.9 TDI
2.0 TDI 140
2.0 TDI DPF 170

The 18" alloys on the S-Line made the ride really harsh, the 17" on the Sport made the ride a lot better.

The 170 is very very new, so their might not be one on the plate you are looking for.

Use also What Cars website, for reviews and spec's for these cars.

shroomo
26-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Thanks alot for the info prolfe, I think it really has to be the 140. Does the sport suspension on the sport models make a big difference? If so would it fit easily onto the SE? I do like the cruise control on my golf. I'd be tempeted to put the golf mk5 GTI alloys on the A3 anyway! I havn't seen what it looks like but I think it would be nice!

Thanks again guys, really usfull stuff.

cheers