PDA

View Full Version : MK5 Golf GTI Gearbox problem

nakedj
06-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi,

This is my first forum message and I'm hoping someone out there can help. I've got an issue with my 06 plate gearbox, the car has only done 34,000 miles and hasn't been driven hard. Under accelerate off from a junction etc it becomes incredibly hard to change gear and sometimes crunches when going into 3rd. Also when driving at around 80 MPH and you want to de-accelerate quickly again its very hard to change down.

I have spoken with VW and they were extremely unhelpful, as this car was classed as an import the UK dealer 3rd year warranty wasn't on the car
.:zx11: so therefor the response was tough luck and you shouldn't have purchased an import!!

I took it to my local garage and they want £200 + vat to drop the gearbox out before they can work out what the issue is and they once its out I'm commited to proceed with whatever work needs to be carried out.

If anyone out there is techincally minded or has had the same issue please let me know. thank you!

Ben
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
It sounds very similar to this.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62717

nakedj
06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Sounds similar I have to say, I'm taking mine into Milton Keynes Gearbox Center tomorrow morning to see what they think. Unlike the chap with the TDI mine is much more noticeable when you're driving it around day to day.

VW seem to be doing a good job fobbing their customers off and not taking responsibility for this kind of poor workmanship.

the surfer
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi,

This is my first forum message and I'm hoping someone out there can help. I've got an issue with my 06 plate gearbox, the car has only done 34,000 miles and hasn't been driven hard. Under accelerate off from a junction etc it becomes incredibly hard to change gear and sometimes crunches when going into 3rd. Also when driving at around 80 MPH and you want to de-accelerate quickly again its very hard to change down.

I have spoken with VW and they were extremely unhelpful, as this car was classed as an import the UK dealer 3rd year warranty wasn't on the car
.:zx11: so therefor the response was tough luck and you shouldn't have purchased an import!!

I took it to my local garage and they want £200 + vat to drop the gearbox out before they can work out what the issue is and they once its out I'm commited to proceed with whatever work needs to be carried out.

If anyone out there is techincally minded or has had the same issue please let me know. thank you!

I've just had the 1st and 2nd gear synchroniser rings replaced on my TDI as a cure for similar problems that you're experiencing with your GTI. (I started the thread that golfmk5gttdi directed you to).

Out of interest, do you know what your gearbox code is?

VW wanted to charge me £980 to strip the gearbox down for diagnosis!

I have been researching on the net about VAG gearboxes for a while and they seem to be a weak point. Friends of mine have also experienced problems with gearboxes on VWs and Audis. I know that the MK4 GTI 1.8T had gearbox issues and many have also reported faults with the gearbox in the Audi S3.

What are VW playing at!?

VW UK told me that they can offer a goodwill gesture based on a matrix system, where they take the age of the vehicle along one axis and trace across to mileage on the other axis; this then gives VW an amount of how much they are willing to offer for repair/replacement. My TDI is on a 55 plate and has covered 35k and I managed to get an 80% discount on a 3-figure-sum! I know it's stressful but keep on at them! A gearbox shouldn't be worn-out/broke at such a low mileage!

Hope you get it sorted!

Keep us posted.