PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf randomly stopped. can anyone help?

sneale2
01-01-2006, 02:06 PM
I was driving along on New Years Eve perfectly fine when I came to a roundabout and suddenly it completely conked out on me. Now when i turn the key it starts then dies out, literally as soon as you take your hand off the key it dies, it doesn't make any strange sound inside the car but there's a bit of a funny whistle under the bonet. any suggestions?

should probably tell you that i'm in the alps at the moment and am reluctant to go a french mechanic cos they take a long time and i wouldn't understand him! the temperature is very cold and has been down to about minus 15. could it have burst a pipe or something in the cold weather?

Any ideas much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sarah :o

FreddyTheFrog
30-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Could be a blocked air breather pipe. Had a similar problem once on a Mk1 Golf years ago causing the engine to loose all power. They're a bit of a pig to fit as it's at the back of the engine. Check for any white frothy scum in the air filter box. A small circular dome shaped piece of metal about 3 inches in diameter is pushed into a circular recess at the back of the engine low down. The vertical air breather pipe is attached to this dome. Behind this metal dome the frothy scum blocks the air way into the engine sump.