PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Coolant warning

RichKi
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie on here despite registering some time ago and I'm looking for some help.

My 04 plate A3 keeps flashing up a "Coolant Warning" on the dash, switching the engine temperature gauge off and putting the fans on in the engine bay. I've checked the rods in the coolant reservoir and the connecting cable and they all seem fine (see pic)

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=340&pictureid=1165

Can anyone help?

Thanks

RichKi
05-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I ought to add that the coolant levels are right between the lines on the reserviour bottle, so I don't think that's the problem. :confused:

harry k
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
I have the same problem with my s3 2000 plate. It only does it when very cold weather though. The car was in Bristol audi last week and even they could'nt shed any light on the problem!:confused: Sorry just read your post properly, mine dos'nt switch the fans on its just the warning light on mine. Goes off as soon as you pull away.

ed'sA3-1.8THK
06-04-2009, 08:08 AM
the instrument cluster controller chip is becoming corrupted - possibly due to cracked/embrittled solder connections on cluster printed circuit board

possibly due to same soldering problem @ green and purple connector header pins on cluster pcb

possibly due to surface corrosion on header pins and green and purple main connector shells (female)

cold weather conditions worsen as cracks open up, however problem(s) will not simply go away - you may try removing cluster and carefully applying contact cleaner/lubricant spray (only a small amount!)

however your cluster pcb + controller chip corruption (stored random errors) will ultimately req replacement of cluster - resoldering really does not work and may completely short out your cluster

immo in ecu communicates w/cluster controllor chip and one day immo locks your car and will not enable ignition function

the low coolant display is one of several early warning signals of impending instrument cluster failure modes...

harry k
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi Ed,thanks for your detailed response. After recieving a £2800 bill last week from Audi i'm a bit worried about future expensive problems. Any idea how much this part is to replace?

RichKi
07-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

I had the car into the garage today and the fault codes read "Intermitted fault with G62 sensor". The garage have replaced the sensor, cleared the fault and topped up the coolant with genuine Audi coolant.

£60 all in and so far so good. No more warnings.

If it crops up again, I'll let you know.

ed'sA3-1.8THK
08-04-2009, 01:54 AM
a- instrument cluster problems are well documented - embrittled solder + corrupt eprom cells 800gbp plus

b- do you know appearance of sensor? small cylindrical "green top"?

yes this can be problem - however if display fault during cold weather also look at instrmt cluster as well

green top sensor is "suggested" replacement annually in tropic regions as drift is issue

lastly the (2) stainless steel rods in coolant reservoir tank can not fail - cleaning sludge off using toothbrush is simple diy

fyi- green top sensor 2-signal values 1-to instrmt cluster water temp gauge

low water display is zero circuit value reservoir tank rods processed by instrmt cluster chip logic ie: closed circuit or open circuit...

BVR.Automotive
14-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

I had the car into the garage today and the fault codes read "Intermitted fault with G62 sensor". The garage have replaced the sensor, cleared the fault and topped up the coolant with genuine Audi coolant.

£60 all in and so far so good. No more warnings.

If it crops up again, I'll let you know.

It should be fine now, temp sensors are really common......

.......Although if you are really unsure you could strip the dash panel to bits and resolder everything just incase the instrument cluster controller chip is becoming corrupted !!!! LOL !!!!:biglaugh:

RichKi
15-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Do you know, I think I'll leave it just as it is ;)

a8 tech
15-04-2009, 09:50 PM
short the header tank connection and retry.its the header tank not the dash lol

ed'sA3-1.8THK
16-04-2009, 04:38 AM
-