PDA

View Full Version : GT TDI - A Newbies First Impressions.

WeegieBob
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I've never owned a Volkswagen before or owned a diesel car for that matter so this was going to be a whole new adventure for me. So .............. how have my first 5 days been?

Right from the start I couldn't get over just how quick a diesel could be, get it up over 2.5k and its a flyer, to the point where I'm keeping it in higher gears just for the thrill. :D

I took the car for a drive up into the Carron Valley which has a road that twists & turns around a reservoir with spectacular views, I was in my element!!!!! If this is what an "ordinary" GT is like I can only guess a GTI and then an R32 must be exceptional.

Down side - I have a real difficulty getting over sleeping policemen - if I go over them at the speed I prefer I've got to be in first gear as it stalls in second. The down side with that is I seem to be slower than everybody else as first feels like a "get it just rolling" gear.

Plus side - Quick, comfortable, economical - and then some, good looking - I'm really pleased I went for the 3-door (but that's personal taste), smooth and quiet.
The dealer has been very good so far, a hiccup on delivery, however that issue was resolved in under 15 minutes, so once that part is finalised I anticipate that my experience will have been far better than my last car's dealership experiences - Mercedes Benz.

WeegieBob. ;)

manic-vw
05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
WOW, cant wait for mine to arrive!!!;)-----likely in June end/July start.:(

JoseSpring
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the update Bob.
I've finally had delivery confirmed for next Friday (it would have been Tuesday, but I'm away with work). That's almost 5 months to the day since I placed the order!
Bit of a shame it wasn't ready this week - I'm up in the Highlands atm and would love to have given it a run around up here.
Any update with your technical issue? I wouldn't mind a heads-up so I can keep an eye out for the same problem on mine if you think it's likely to be a serial problem!

WeegieBob
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Jose,

Great news! And you can always come back up to Scotland to enjoy our long, twisting roads as they're always there come rain or shine.

If you do come back up the road to Applecross (west coast of Scotland) without doubt is one of the best driver's roads I know of in Scotland and if you've never driven it I would recommend it as the views are fantastic and a car like the Golf GT will be in its element. Also, if you are in that area another place I recommend is Plockton, made famous by being featured in the film "Local hero", once again a great drive and wonderfully remote from the hustle & bustle. :)

The "issue" isn't anything wrong with the car, in fact its been faultless, now with 400 miles on the clock. It was an error on the dealer's part effecting the final step in the delivery process. The problem was dealt with as far as I'm concerned effectively, however I await the final result and being the superstitious man I am I don't want to tempt fate by saying too much until I'm absolutely certain everything is sorted.

WeegieBob.

paul.mgrath
20-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I have just traded my mk5 2.0TDi in against the MK6 and can't believe how quiet it is. I believe they have changed the innards of the engine to make it quieter. Cannot fault my mk5 and hae high hopes for this one (7-10days from now:biglaugh:).

Gonna make sure if i keep it longer than 3 years i extend the warranty tho' as the manifold flap went on mine 2 months out of warranty - Be warned!!!

Can't wait tho'!

WeegieBob
26-04-2009, 09:26 AM
That's me just back yesterday evening from a week of driving up t'dale and down't vale in very sunny Yorkshire and the Golf was fabulous! :)

There and back and in between we clocked up 908 miles on (for me at least coming from 25 mpg) an astounding tank and a half of diesel - I won't even frighten you how much petrol my V6 Merc would have guzzled for that distance. My absolute best mpg, and I was really trying was 72.2 mpg over 20 miles, which really proves to me how far diesels have come with regard to economy combined with comfort.

Niggles - I seem to have an occasional weird "gulp" from the engine when I'm slowing down from 70 after going down into 5th at about 55 / 60, only a brief hesitation I grant you, but noticable nevertheless. Other than that a rattle has developed behind the passenger door - solution ............. turn up my ZZ Top CD volume.

Probably this is stating the obvious to all you long term VW diesel fans, but from this newbies position what a winner VW have, I'm sooooo impressed and that takes a lot having been involved in motoring and all its related aspects for over 35 years now.

WeegieBob. ;)

maisbitt
27-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Weegiebob.

1st on a TDI is just a "get it rolling gear". The TDIs are geared really high - my 170TDI (MK5) is only doing 2300rpm at 80mph in 6th.

Diesels aren't quick off the mark, but 40-80 overtaking surpasses most petrols that dont have at least 15% more power.

My 170 would be embarrassing in a drag race - 1st gear gets going, change up 1 and floor it in 2nd and theres violent wheelspin even on the driest of days. but put your foot down at 40mph and it's almost as quick as a GTI to 80mph.

The common rails are a bit of an improvement in refinement over the PD, but don't feel as torquey at the low end.