PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 Key Fob

andybagguley
05-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I only have 1 key for my 2004 Audi A3 and now that has started not working. I have replaced the battery but it still has to be put next to the car for it to work and sometimes it takes a few presses.

I have a question if anyone can help: I have looked at replacement keys on ebay and they state that the part number (Inside of the remote) is unique and has to match for a key to be able to be programmed. Is this correct? If so, where is the best place to get a key from as audi dealers are super expensive for a spare key!

Many thanks!

tlionhart
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
unfortunately audi...And of course they don't come cheap, thats why when you buy a car they say 'keep them safe!'

You could prob buy a fob off ebay, and use your current blade. You would then need to have the fob programmed to the car. Again paying a visit to audi or talking to someone with VAG com. (following the procedure in the manual won't work! You would need to change the frequency on car to work with the new fob. ) I found this out as i was looking to change my old fob to the new fob type. (saw them on ebay)

I think they cost £150 from audi...could be wrong though?

batteryman
06-04-2009, 08:15 AM
A couple of old posts which may be of use - sorted my spare key for a Golf MkIV

I had the same problem - bought my car from an independant (small) dealer with only one key. I got a key fob from ebay with blank key in it. You need to be careful as there are several types - 2 button, 3 button, various transmitter radio frequencies. I then took it and the car to my local locksmith (Bolton Lock Company, 354-360 Manchester Road, Westhoughton, Bolton, Lancashire BL5 3JT, Tel: 01942 811186 sorry, no use if you're not in NW) who cut the key profile and reprogrammed the fob. Ordinary key cutters can't usually cut these keys because it won't fit their machine's grips. Bolton Lock told me they can reprogramme most VW Golf keys but not all; more problems with newer ones. Mine's an 'S' reg. so you may be OK. The local VW dealer quoted me something like £150.00 for a new key and I ended up spending less than £50.00.

A bit more info now I've got two key fobs to look at.. The key fob part number and frequency are printed or stamped onto it. To find them, pull the two halves of the fob apart as though you're going to change the battery. Look at the half with the buttons on, in the area which was covered by the other half. You should see a part number like HLO 1JO 959 753 A and a radio frequency like 433MHz. If you get one from ebay, make sure these are the same. I have one as above (original key) and a newer one, same part number except last letter which is N. This one came from an ebay seller with blank blade and was cut and programmed by my locksmith. The older one has oval buttons, the other squarish buttons but both work fine. There seem to be plenty for sale on ebay at the moment, price varies but in £10.00-£30.00 range (low if you're a lucky bidder. Blank blades can be bought separately for about a fiver if needed but get one with a blank if you can. Finally, the locksmith kept my car for a morning to programme it, maybe to fit in with other jobs.

gixxerk4600
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
has it stopped working gradually? i had same problem, it just stopped, changed battery and nothing.

what u have to do, is,
1-unlock car with the key
2-then press the unlock button
3-turn ignition on and then off
4-then take out key and press either the lock or unlock button.

i think thats the way to do it, it should be in ur manual about syncing your key