PDA

View Full Version : Question Knocking noise left wheel

markyd85
05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I've got a knocking coming from the left wheel only happens when i turn corners and have on full lock really, was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be? Also when it's warm as in been standing for quite some time idling the car judders/vibrates a bit? Any ideas?

RickT
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi..

Its hard to say what the knocking noise could be..

I would suggest taking the wheel off and having a poke about pull the arms and examine the bushes.

Rick

andypcon
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like possible outer driveshaft constant velocity joint. Probably is if the noise is speed related i.e the faster you go the more it knocks.

Hurdy
05-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Suspension top mount possibly. I had a similar thing on the right side and had the top mount and bearing done, which cured it. Have you hit any potholes recently that stick in your mind?

markyd85
07-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi thanks for the replies, it's difficult to tell if it's speed related. My mate was in the passenger seat the other day and it seemed the more weight in the car on that side the more it knocked. Think im gonna have to take it to the garage get them to have a look and sort it before the wheel falls off!

themagpie78
08-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I had the same issue in my 04 2.0GTTDI. Mostly when I turned left above 50mph.

Took it to my brothers garage to have a look while he was preparing it for MOT.

Turns out the right wheel bearing was shot. This after only 38,000 miles. The car was 4 days out of warranty so dealer wouldn't cover it. My brothers mechanics reckon they had never seen bearings go so quickly on a Golf before, especially the GT as they have uprated ones.

I only had the car a year. Brother reckons it was caused my the cheap Debica tyres put on the front by the dealer before I bought it. They were bumping like mad.

The bearing was £70 (not original VAG part) plus fitting. Plus I had to put two new tyres on the front even though the others had only done 8k miles.

The left bearing is probably on its way out as well though the new tyres have probably prolonged its life span.