PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel noise - 2006

Simert
05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi, my steering is making a stange noise.

Audi A6 2.0 TDI Avant

Somone else is having the same issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBqpYmBAaA

Does anyone know what is causing this and a solution?

My dealer is changing the power steering fluid on the 14th April, but I don't thik this is the issue. Suggestion are of a slip ring?

Would be interested to hear if someone has had the problem and found a solution. Other than turning the stereo up ;)

Thanks in advance.

Simon

kenney
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
The noise is coming from the slip ring

Simert
05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Kenny.
Think I'll call the dealer and ask them to replace that instead of the fluid.

Any idea if it's a simple job? Car is under warranty, so hope it's covered, if not

kenney
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
It's easy enough,like everything else,if you know how.I was going to say, it might help if you spray a small amount of the spray you get for spraying electronic equpment.But since it is still under warranty,let the workshop sort it out.

Simert
05-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Kenny, Thanks once again.

I was worried it may mean new steering wheel / column etc..

I'll speak to the garage tomorrow and get them to change the slip ring rather than the fluid.

I am convinced, like you, it's the slip ring and not the fluid, as the noise is coming from the steering wheel, rather than under the bonnet.

Cheers.

JimC64
02-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Why does no one ever come back and finish a thread............??

Hi all had the car in at the dealers, changed the slip ring for £200 now all good no noise etc etc or not as the case may be.........Jeeeeesh

MarkTM
02-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Jim please be kind to those rude peeps! :biglaugh:

Appreciate there are many that come on here just for advice and don't treat it like a community and disappear.

Unlike you and I the 25 posts in 4.5yrs from the OP should have been a giveaway :(

JimC64
02-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Jim please be kind to those rude peeps! :biglaugh:

Appreciate there are many that come on here just for advice and don't treat it like a community and disappear.

Unlike you and I the 25 posts in 4.5yrs from the OP should have been a giveaway :(

Arrgghhhh I know Mark.....It really just grips my **** though, honestly!

Having a bad day, just ignore me...lol