PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drives and new tyres help!

vic4
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I have an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Quattro s-line. 3 of my tyres needed replacing the other day which i did.
because its 4 wheel drive should i have replaced all 4?

i read on one site that you should and another site said you shouldnt have to...
since i have changed them my handling has gone out the window, its like someone has robbed my 4 wheel drive. im going round corners at the same speed and my back end is going out whereas last week it would grip like a dream and wouldnt budge from the position it was in.

should i have replaced all 4?

its it because 3 are one brand and 1 is a different brand?

help!!!!! please:zx11:

zollaf
03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
i would say you should have changed all 4. try getting the other one done, and if the handling goes back to normal, that was the problem.

JohnWithAGolf
14-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I don't there is a correct answer to this, I used to work for a fleet company cost managing cars so if we could fit 3 tyres instead of four, we would, if the drivers challenged us, we would ask Audi head office and they would never put it in writing that it is necessary to fit all four at one occasion, some dealers would describe the need to change the fourth as a myth whereas others would preach near doomsday events occurring if the fourth tyre wasn't replaced so there was never any consistency from the dealers!

When dealing with other 4 wheel drives (full on off roaders) we would change the additional tyre if there was more than a 4mm difference between the tyres on the same axle.

Personally, I would change the fourth tyre and keep the tyre that comes off, either flog it on eBay as a part worn or if you've got the space, keep it as a spare at home incase you get a puncture.

Marc1
14-04-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd want to change all four too, or two at a time, but not one or three unless they haven't been on long to begin with.

WHich tyres have you fitted? Same as before / the fourth one? How many miles have you done since fitting and have you allowed for a break in period to burn off all the grease and prevent the tyre slipping?