PDA

View Full Version : Car judder at 45mph when

dreamworx
21-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Hello all,

I have a very odd problem, when im driving my car normally say 30 mph and turn slightly right the car feels fine, if i speed up to about 45 then when i turn slightly right i can feel the car juddering as if im driving over cats eyes (im not though). i can turn left and dont have a problem at all its on when im turning right and only over 45 mph???

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any ideas???

Golf GT TDI 1999, 3 door AHF engine

Eshrules
21-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Hello all,

I have a very odd problem, when im driving my car normally say 30 mph and turn slightly right the car feels fine, if i speed up to about 45 then when i turn slightly right i can feel the car juddering as if im driving over cats eyes (im not though). i can turn left and dont have a problem at all its on when im turning right and only over 45 mph???

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any ideas???

Golf GT TDI 1999, 3 door AHF engine

ok, im no mechanic, but here goes...

check your tyres are within legal limits and at the correct pressures, under pressure tyres can cause a whole host of problems.

most obvious thing to check would be the tyres, check for uneven wear, this can be indicative of worn suspension and associated parts.

if, all the above checks out ok, have a listen for any unusual noises when the fault occurs, it could be down to a worn track/tie rod end, suspension bushes(although noises usually present themselves with these),could also be the lower wishbone arm/bush.

may need a techies input on this one as i dont want to advise you too specifically and be totally off base mate....

get a friend whos good with a spanner to take a look with you... :)

Sam
21-03-2007, 11:00 AM
^ Spot on.

Tyre pressures and wheel balancing are the cheapest options.

I'll add CV joints to all of the above mechanical things.

Eshrules
21-03-2007, 11:05 AM
^ Spot on. :D

Tyre pressures and wheel balancing are the cheapest options.

I'll add CV joints to all of the above mechanical things. another obvious one, good thinking :o :D

dreamworx
21-03-2007, 11:37 AM
i have put new wheels on the car with new tyres, so thats out of the question,, I have changed the lower arms (bushes), new track rod arms.

I replaced the one complete drive shaft and changed the outter CV joint on the other side so far. Im thinking maybe a duff Drive shaft was sent? it was 2nd hand?

I guess the question really is when the car is turning slightly/full right what side of the car is under the most pressure?? Is it the left or right?

Sam
21-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Did it wobble/judder before the new wheel & tyre combo?

Have you changed all of the components because of the judder?

When turning right all the weight is shifted to the outer edge of the turning circle, so the opposite side is under more pressure.

dreamworx
21-03-2007, 11:55 AM
i changed all those parts as my borther hit the side of the car into railings!

so i decided to change the whole front end suspension and arm etc etc.

The guy at the MOT place failed the MOT as he said the rear wheel was buckled, so i changed all 4 wheels, but it still juddered. so i think there was nothign wrong with the wheels.

im thinking maybe the other side drive shaft could be knackered then, perhaps i will grease them up big style on the weekend and see if this helps at all, if it does then ill change the CV joints???

Eshrules
21-03-2007, 12:25 PM
i changed all those parts as my borther hit the side of the car into railings!

so i decided to change the whole front end suspension and arm etc etc.

The guy at the MOT place failed the MOT as he said the rear wheel was buckled, so i changed all 4 wheels, but it still juddered. so i think there was nothign wrong with the wheels.

im thinking maybe the other side drive shaft could be knackered then, perhaps i will grease them up big style on the weekend and see if this helps at all, if it does then ill change the CV joints???

im thinking the same,if its been crashed into a barrier, the damage would not necessarily be limited to the side of impact, you could have put your steering rack out of line.

also, the fact that you put a 2nd hand drive shaft on brings with it unknown variables....

course of action.. id suggest getting a new driveshaft, check the opposite side and see what state thats in. see how things go then. in regards to the wishbone, you said wishbone(bushes) have you checked the wishbones themselves, as these are a common MOT failure. :)

dreamworx
21-03-2007, 05:14 PM
ive been thinking steering rack, but then wouldnt this affect right and left??

im gonna strip the other side right down tonight lube it right up to the max!!! and see if it makes any difference at all, if it does then i shall replace drive shaft, the grease should help for a little bit im guesssing...

I have the good old bentley manual that helps!