PDA

View Full Version : 20v loss of power

capolla
30-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi .
my first post here.

I have a 1.8 20v '99 petrol injection passat estate. I bought this as my old '87 Passat estate was on its last legs. Anyway the new passat will lose power and not respond to loads such as hills and when its revved. It will splutter and backfire ( not a bang backfire more like a unignited pop ). When it is revved sometimes it just dies but when its warms up it wil just sputter and pop. Any ideas most welcome.

stuart
30-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi, thanks for joining the site :)

I think, that anytime a VAG vehicle has a loss of power, 90% of the time I would look at the MAF sensor, or Air flow metre, or Mass air flow sensor, all the same item, just different terminology.

These are very common to fail on most VAG cars, and loss of power is one off the symptoms.

Stuart

capolla
31-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi and thanks for the welcome and the reply.
After some more research I decided to take a gamble on the MAF sensor as it seemed to point to all the symptons. It was worth the gamble because it seems to have cured the problem and now the car is running fine.

Thanks again

stuart
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Glad your now sorted out:) as I say they are very common problems on all VAG cars, not sure why though, other cars use the same sort of equipment, and have no problems at all, or very few.

Stuat