PDA

View Full Version : GOLF MK3 - PROBLEM

Slim
13-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi all,
I've a Mk3 Golf Driver (94) with an annoying problem. When the engine is hot the idleing becomes erratic and the engine tends to jump when lightly pressing the accelerator, and stall in lower gears or when pullling off. If I start the engine from cold, it runs fine. If I restart the engine whilst it is still warm, the problem is immediate. The previous owner told me that the engine had been rebuilt. I've owned the car for a year and in that time it's been serviced and had a computer diagnostic which came up blank. I've more recently asked my local reputable mechanic about it and he suggested that he could do another diagnostic but the car may be too old.
If anyone has any ideas.....?
.....Much appreciated,
Slim

golfyjammer
14-11-2006, 01:01 AM
is it the 1400cc?
i had this problem, it aventually comes down to not starting at all, or dying when you are driving it.

i changed the leads, coil pack, plugs, lamda sensor, relays.
none of which helped. i then put a new dizzy on, that solved all of the problems. hope this helps?

Slim
14-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi Golfyjammer, thanks for the reply.
The engine is an 1800 injection. I've changed the HT leads, to no effect (like yourself). When you say 'dizzy' do you mean the distributor? (scuse my ignorance!)
The problem seems to be constant, i.e. not getting any worse or better. It starts fine & when it does stall, restarts without problems. It almost seems like the fuel mixture is too rich and the engine is being choked (hence running fine when cold).
Thanks again,
-Slim

golfyjammer
15-11-2006, 01:03 AM
yes distributor, sorry for shortening words.
you could be right with what you said about being 'too rich'

brianf
21-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Could be a defective spark plug. Take them out immediately after a run and check if the colour of the core nose (the ceramic part inside the threaded section) is the same on all plugs. If not, change them.
A cracked or contaminated distributor cap is also a possibility.

bejnarowiczd
21-01-2007, 08:48 PM
slim, did you ever figure this one out? I have the same problem with a 1400cc gt. It appears to be more severe without a "sit and idel" for about 5.

Ive tried good throttle body clean out and no errors on a vag.

Did changing the distributor do the trick?

dan

roryok
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
hi all, same problem here.

recently replaced all plug leads at a cost of about €70, pretty steep and it hasn't fixed the prob. Any further developments?

Should I try for a distributor cap?

Slim
20-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi Dan. I haven't done anything with it as yet. I've tried two independent mechanics both of whom couldn't figure it out so i've decided to put it in to VW. It's just I haven't been able to afford it as yet! Any luck with yours?

roryok
20-03-2007, 10:25 PM
hope this helps out

recently got the problem fixed, brought it to a mechanic who removed the outer metal band on the distributor. He said that he'd dealt with at least two mk3 golfs before with the same problem and solution. Apparently the metal band sometimes shorts out the distributor.

Sure enough, the problem has disappeared completely, I suggest giving it a shot!

Slim
21-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi Roryok. That's great news! I will give it a shot. Many thanks.
-slim

sokbrock
09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Check your idle air control valve. Try taking the hoses off of it and cleaning it with carb cleaner.

Eshrules
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
i've moved this thread to the golf section... it will get more attention there, will hopefully aid you in your search for a solution :D