PDA

View Full Version : Question Timing Belt Replacement.

budgie-mog
02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
High all, new to the forum and I hope you can help.
I have a 2003 VW Passat with the PD engine code AVF. I am wanting to change the Timing belt kit as it is now 6 years old, although its only done 50,000. I've had it from new so I know the history.
My question is that although I am quite capable of changing the Timing belt has there ever been any issues with removing the crankshaft pulley as I know these can be very tight. Is it a vibration damper pulley??
I know some BMW pulleys are exceptionally tight and require a special tool to hold the front of the crank and not the normal locking tool to change the belt with. Thanks all in advance ;)

adamss24
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
You'll be ok with just a good quality allen bit and a long 1/2" breaker bar. Make shure you take the front off and dont do it from the "service position" as its very easy to strip the heads off the bolts. Locking tools are a must altough you can improvise ! These engines need timing in the exact factory position otherwise they wont run right, will throw fault codes and may bend valves if not fitted corectly. Make shure you replace the water pump as well ! You could PM me if local/within driving distance of N.London as i do these cambelts jobs at discounted prices for fellow forum members, and include full Contitech cambelt kits, antifreeze, aux. belts, diagnostic test and i know these cars and engines inside out ! You could ask BigCol about how i work...as his a6 was one off the last ones i worked belonging to forum members ! Hope this helps. Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

budgie-mog
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
You'll be ok with just a good quality allen bit and a long 1/2" breaker bar. Make shure you take the front off and dont do it from the "service position" as its very easy to strip the heads off the bolts. Locking tools are a must altough you can improvise ! These engines need timing in the exact factory position otherwise they wont run right, will throw fault codes and may bend valves if not fitted corectly. Make shure you replace the water pump as well ! You could PM me if local/within driving distance of N.London as i do these cambelts jobs at discounted prices for fellow forum members, and include full Contitech cambelt kits, antifreeze, aux. belts, diagnostic test and i know these cars and engines inside out ! You could ask BigCol about how i work...as his a6 was one off the last ones i worked belonging to forum members ! Hope this helps. Regards, Chris- 077 899 12128.

Am I right in thinking then that the front pulley splits with a series of allen bolts? and is it these bolts that can strip? Can you explain what you mean by 'Service position?'

Cheers:confused:

Hex69
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Am I right in thinking then that the front pulley splits with a series of allen bolts? and is it these bolts that can strip? Can you explain what you mean by 'Service position?'

Cheers:confused:

Front of car pulls forward with rad and all by about 10cm or so to make servicing "easier"

budgie-mog
02-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Front of car pulls forward with rad and all by about 10cm or so to make servicing "easier"

I'm confused, according to adamss24, I shouldn't remove the bolts from the 'service position' surely it will be easier from the service position? :confused:

Hex69
03-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm confused, according to adamss24, I shouldn't remove the bolts from the 'service position' surely it will be easier from the service position? :confused:

What he means is that you shouldn't remove the bolts from the crankshaft pulley when the front of he car is in the service position, as even when the bumper, etc are pulled forward, there's still not enough room to get enough clearance, you have to remove the whole front of the vehicle to make the job easier.

HTH.