PDA

View Full Version : Gttdi 2005

Woodland
02-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Hello. Newbie here, who was directed to this forum by a current member Z?? (sorry, I know it begins with a Z!) :Blush2:

Anyhow ..... I joined in the hope that someone may be able to offer me a spot of guidance please?

As the title:

March 2005 GT TDI. Got 70k miles. Fully serviced etc etc .......

And it appears that the turbo has blown. Awaiting confirmation as I type......

Does anyone know of a history for this happening with this model at all?

Would you expect a turbo to blow at this age/mileage? (car has not been thrashed)

ALSO .... the car was purchased via
Motorpoint (which affects the warranty from 3, down to 2years due to being an "import" ...... but they all are anyway!!!)

So, opinions too please as to whether you feel I can expect a contribution from VW for repair?

Thanks for your time & any help forthcoming.

the surfer
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Hello. Newbie here, who was directed to this forum by a current member Z?? (sorry, I know it begins with a Z!) :Blush2:

Anyhow ..... I joined in the hope that someone may be able to offer me a spot of guidance please?

As the title:

March 2005 GT TDI. Got 70k miles. Fully serviced etc etc .......

And it appears that the turbo has blown. Awaiting confirmation as I type......

Does anyone know of a history for this happening with this model at all?

Would you expect a turbo to blow at this age/mileage? (car has not been thrashed)

ALSO .... the car was purchased via
Motorpoint (which affects the warranty from 3, down to 2years due to being an "import" ...... but they all are anyway!!!)

So, opinions too please as to whether you feel I can expect a contribution from VW for repair?

Thanks for your time & any help forthcoming.

I have read about a lot of turbo failures on VAG cars, but very fortunately I've never personally experienced one. My GT TDI has only done 35k so only time can tell.... I make sure I carry-out an oil and filter change every 7-10k using VW 507.00 spec oil. Also, I let my car idle for a minute or so after long runs to help cool the bearings within the turbo, thus reducing the effect of hot shutdown. Ideally, a turbo is designed, and should, providing it's well maintained, last the life-time of the car.

As for help from VW...... :aargh4: Good luck is all I can say!

Woodland
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I have read about a lot of turbo failures on VAG cars, but very fortunately I've never personally experienced one. My GT TDI has only done 35k so only time can tell.... I make sure I carry-out an oil and filter change every 7-10k using VW 507.00 spec oil. Also, I let my car idle for a minute or so after long runs to help cool the bearings within the turbo, thus reducing the effect of hot shutdown. Ideally, a turbo is designed, and should, providing it's well maintained, last the life-time of the car.

As for help from VW...... :aargh4: Good luck is all I can say!

Thank you for the reply.
Things have moved along abit.

It appears that the turbo is ok,however, upon their diagnostic kit , at £65 per hour mind you! :aargh4: it is showing (& forgive my terminology here please) that the car SHOULD only have (say) 6litres of oil, they have found almost 10!!!
Upon a very brief discussion, it seems that a pump has failed ????? and oil has leaked into the turbo (therefore the engine was for that dramatic moment of power/revving surge, running on the oil.?)

Am wizzing down there tomorrow t get the full low-down & to commence disscussions re the VW er erm "help" situation!! :D

Will keep you posted with a more thorough & techno explaination afterwards.

Thank you again Surfer.

Woodland
07-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Got car back.

The "problem" turned out to be the "duel pump" which has had to be replaced (£600 +)
The seal had gone, and was somehow allowing a seepage of diesel into the oil????? & this is why I experienced similar symptoms of a turbo failure.

VW point blank refused any contribution, :zx11::zx11: but the dealership negotiated a 55% contribution ;);)

So, Surfer (& anyone else) now you know!!

Thank you for the response.
Regards

RickT
07-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Got car back.

The "problem" turned out to be the "duel pump" which has had to be replaced (£600 +)
The seal had gone, and was somehow allowing a seepage of diesel into the oil????? & this is why I experienced similar symptoms of a turbo failure.

VW point blank refused any contribution, :zx11::zx11: but the dealership negotiated a 55% contribution ;);)

Regards

I guess a postive outcome to a certain degree then...

Rick

the surfer
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Got car back.

Regards

A contribution is always better than nothing! You were lucky that no long-term damage was done to the turbo! I can't imagine diesel leaking into your oil could have done it much good!

Thanks for reporting back ;)

Woodland
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Ish-ish, I'd say. But far preferable to having to pay the full amount! :D

I still contend that, what I see as a major componant, should not fail so early in the life of the car.

This is my 5th Golf (4th Diesel) 4 of which are still running about, all were sold with between 180k-220k miles.

In all of this motoring, I have broken down 4 times only.
Two of those times have been with this particular vehicle. I am not impressed/confident with this model. :aargh4::mad:

nevo
10-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Mine had a new turbo at 35k (previous owner)out of warranty as well,2004 model,must have cost a grand and a half ,seems vw were sourcing there turbo's from Cadbury's bournville for this model,cars now done 51k,fingers crossed,any one else out there had new turbo's,would be interested to know