PDA

View Full Version : tdi problem

paranoid pete
30-12-2005, 09:10 PM
have a 2002 100 bhp golf mk4
symptoms...loss of power , poor mpg
this normally points to maf failure,so have replaced.
but nothing has changed ,no difference.
can anyone give me a clue as to where to go now ??
any help would be appreciated
cheers
pp

stuart
30-12-2005, 09:20 PM
have a 2002 100 bhp golf mk4
symptoms...loss of power , poor mpg
this normally points to maf failure,so have replaced.
but nothing has changed ,no difference.
can anyone give me a clue as to where to go now ??
any help would be appreciated
cheers
pp

Hi

What make of MAF sensor did you fit? only reason I ask, is I know GSF and Euro Car Parts sell some cheap units, but I have known these to be less reliable than a genuine Bosch or VAG (Bosch) unit.

I would also never rule out a new part not to be faulty.

Stuart

paranoid pete
30-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi

What make of MAF sensor did you fit? only reason I ask, is I know GSF and Euro Car Parts sell some cheap units, but I have known these to be less reliable than a genuine Bosch or VAG (Bosch) unit.

I would also never rule out a new part not to be faulty.

Stuart

Hi Stuart
Thanks for speedy reply.
was a genuine bosch bought from euro car parts.
this is probably a dumb question but..
is there any difference between the tdi maf and the petrol one ?
pp

stuart
30-12-2005, 09:34 PM
There must be about 10 different MAF sensors I would imageine depending on year, engine type etc. I actually work for Euro Car Parts in Leeds, and know we have problems with the cheaper ones, Bosch are, as a rule OK, but may still be worth getting it checked out.

paranoid pete
30-12-2005, 09:38 PM
bought it from euro car parts team valley gateshead.
how would i get it checked out ?
would i need to get it hooked up to vag.com or could euro car parts check it for me .

stuart
30-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I know we are unable to check, have no means to do so:( I would either do what you say and use VAG-COM ( may find other fault codes) or speak to a VAG specilaist for advise.

I have read on other forums, that if you disconnect the unit, it makes the ECU use a default set of values, so if the unit is at fault you should see an improvment. But I would confirm this first.... I think you may have to reset the fault codes using VAG-COM after as the engine management light may stay on.

STuart

paranoid pete
30-12-2005, 09:56 PM
ok stuart
thanks for taking the time
looks as tho an expensive visit to a dealer is the answer,
hate going to vw always feel as tho i'm being ripped off
thats my christmas bonus gone then....
never mind easy come easy go
cheers anyway.
pp

veedweeb
30-12-2005, 10:02 PM
is there any difference between the tdi maf and the petrol one ?
pp

Yes there is...

The petrol ones run cooler, and therefore "fool" the engine into thinking more air is going in. The result is that more fuel is pumped in too.

This results in more power (and sometimes more smoke) but oddly, because of the way diesels work, it doesn't necessarily mean less MPG.

I ran a 2.0 petrol MAF in my 110TDi Sharan. The power increase was very noticeable, and driven carefully, it actually did MORE MPG.

paranoid pete
30-12-2005, 11:18 PM
very interesting veedweeb
thanks for that...i was just curious.
didnt say anything on the box nor was i asked if it was a diesel or petrol
maf i required,dont suppose it mattered anyway in my case as it made no difference.
pp

stuart
30-12-2005, 11:22 PM
very interesting veedweeb
thanks for that...i was just curious.
didnt say anything on the box nor was i asked if it was a diesel or petrol
maf i required,dont suppose it mattered anyway in my case as it made no difference.
pp

Very strange, did they ask for the registration number of the car? if so, that would give them all the details they need, such as engine number, and chassis/Vin number, so they should have given you the correct one.

If you want me to check it out for you on Tuesday, on holiday until then, email or PM your regisreation and the part number they supplied, and I will confirm if you have been given the correct MAF.

Was there no difference from the day you fitted the new one? or did the problem re-appear after a period of time?

Stuart

paranoid pete
01-01-2006, 08:16 PM
yes i recall did give registration details,as you must got information from that..didnt think silly me.
anyway...have arranged for a mate to take a look,and he has access to vag-com so hopefully will get it sorted.
will post any results on here.
thanks for everyone's contribution.
and happy new year.
pp

stuart
01-01-2006, 08:22 PM
From the registration it gives us the car make, model, VIN number, engine number, colour, and registration date, so they should have given you the correct one;)

Happy new year to you too:)

Stuart

Ps VAG-COM or any other diagnostic may not show a fault code up for the MAF, you may have to do a data-log of the air flow requested, and provided using the datalog facility in VAG-COM, I think it tells you how to do this on there website;)

pete99
01-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Yes there is...

The petrol ones run cooler, and therefore "fool" the engine into thinking more air is going in. The result is that more fuel is pumped in too.

This results in more power (and sometimes more smoke) but oddly, because of the way diesels work, it doesn't necessarily mean less MPG.

I ran a 2.0 petrol MAF in my 110TDi Sharan. The power increase was very noticeable, and driven carefully, it actually did MORE MPG.

Hi,
My Audi a4 TDI was running ok - very smooth, great fuel econony--BUT- with no power--EVERYTHING was passing me on the road --couldnt do more than 80mph. I thought it may be the turbo--but decided to try air flow meter first .
I replaced it with one from Europarts £25.00. Very cheap --seemed worth the risk !!.
Result !!!--- Audi now goes like a rocket --BUT--runs 'lumpy' at low speeds --AND- when i put my toe down --acceleration is great-- BUT-- CLOUDS OF SMOKE BEHIND ME -- its got embarrassing !!!. Fuel consumption has increased too.
Ive contacted Europarts - and without hesitation - they have told me they will send me a replacement - which im waiting for now .
I hope it does the trick --but after hearing comments about the cheapo units being unreliable -- maybe ill get another 'duff' one --and i wonder how ill know !!.
Pete

stuart
01-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi, thanks for joining.

I am not saying that everone will prove to be faulty or unreliable, but we have had more problems with the cheaper versions than the genuine items. We do sell a fair few of each, just seem to have more problems with the cheaper item.

I hope that your replacement unit will prove reliable and OK:)

Stuart

pete99
01-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi, thanks for joining.

I am not saying that everone will prove to be faulty or unreliable, but we have had more problems with the cheaper versions than the genuine items. We do sell a fair few of each, just seem to have more problems with the cheaper item.

I hope that your replacement unit will prove reliable and OK:)

Stuart

Thanks for replying,
Unit should be here tomorrow --so will try it out and let you know . Information may come in handy some day ?.
Regards Pete