PDA

View Full Version : A6 Rear Wiper Motor

cool_dood01
01-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi all, My 2006 A6 Avant Rear wiper motor has packed in. It started to wipe really slowly and the other morning it just gave up half way round the rear window.
I was wondering if any one on here could give me a price for the rear motor and any advice on changing it?

Any help/advice appreciated!

NickPicks
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Exactly the same problem as mine did about 9 months ago. One day I'll get around to changing it.

I can't recall how much Audi want for a new motor, but I was planing to take mine out and see where it's siezed and give it a good clean and re-grease. I think it's as simple as taking the tailgate trim panel off, 3 bolts to remove the motor (after you've taken the wiper arm off)

I'm sure I've seen a how-to on taking the rear panel off and removing the wiper arm somewhere on this forum. Have a search for those.

Col
02-04-2009, 10:42 AM
This effects almost all VAg cars of a certain age with a rear wiper.

What happens is that the brass washer tube that runs through the spindle corrodes and snaps off.

If caught early you can use a repair kit which is readily available and costs about £30.

However, I had this on my old Passat and decided to replace the motor as it was £70 from GSF for a complete new unit. I decided to do this as I didn't want the potnetial of not being able to fix the old motor having spent the money on the repair kit. My logic was that the repair kit cost wise was half way to a new motor anyway and with the hassel of fitting with guarantee that the existing unit was repairable, to simple go for the new one (hope thatmakes sense in a round about way).

The only peculularity was on the Passat that the wipr blade parked on the other side. (R/H side) Other than that it was an easy job.

The A6 tailgate panel as far as I'm aware has two screws internally, one in the handle recess and one where the warning triangle is. After those two are out, it pops off (probably a nightmare in practice though).

NickPicks
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
This effects almost all VAg cars of a certain age with a rear wiper.

What happens is that the brass washer tube that runs through the spindle corrodes and snaps off.

If caught early you can use a repair kit which is readily available and costs about £30.

Is that what causes it to stop half way across the screen? I thought the snapped pipe caused the 'washer fliud leaking into the tailgate' thing.

I thought the siezed wiper was caused by corrosion of the spindle expanding the spindle inside the sleeve, or the wiper gearbox getting gunged up.

The motor is the same as the A3, A4 Avant and Passat, so you might be able to find one easier if you're looking for a used one.

Col
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
All the rear wiper issues are connected with the brass tube corroding / siezing / snapping / leaking.

My old motor struggled to sweep the screen. After replacing I took the old one apart and low and behold, it was the spindle that had corroded.

As for the kit at £30 or a new motor at £70, you pays your money and takes your risk. A second hand unit does not make sense in my mind as it would be well on the way to failing.

NickPicks
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for that. I shall have to get around to taking mine out and examining it.

fourwh33ldrive
22-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Just to add further to the issues of this common fault. I had exactly same problem. I stripped the rear tailgate, got the motor out and fitted a new one. when I tried it it seemed ok until I realised the fluid was not getting up to the jet. After tracing the line I found that where the pipe runs from the tailgate into the car at the top there was a small split inside the "protected" pipe which is constantly being flexed each time the boot is opened, therefor over time it splits. After spending a long time on it I managed to get the offending piece out into the open and then put in a male/male connector in the place if the split. tried it and it worked fine. Of course I tried it while the hose was still dangling out, so stripped it all back down......carefully....and replaced the whole lot then fire it up again until I realised the bloody pipe split at the motor end on the connector, so trimmed the bad bit just a little, held it in boiling water for a minute or so then eased it over the connector at the motor, job done. Then I found that the frigging pump is now not working......so thankfully the summer is almost upon us my next job lined up........hope this adds to the information already here and maybe helps someone else out.

joewhite2417
23-04-2011, 10:05 AM
If yours is a C6 (ie >2005) then it won't have the brass tube. I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I was about to buy the repair kit, but I decided to strip down the motor first.

It was a bit of a problem getting the rear wiper off, but it came off with the help of a small bearing puller I borrowed. The rear panel in the boot comes off in one piece. It is held in by six screws and spring clips, so it does take a bit of tugging. The wiper motor is held in by three bolts.

I removed the cover from the wiper assembly and found mechanism rusting and wet. I cleaned everything with WD40 and re-greased with silicon grease.

The problem of washer fluid getting into the mechanism seemed to be down to the seal that is located in the washer fluid pipe connector on the case of the wiper motor. You can easily remove the pipe connector by prising it off the case with a flat implement. Inside this connector is a standard shaft seal. The size is a 6mm x 16mm x 5mm. (6mm shaft, 16mm Seal OD, 5mm thickness). I searched online and found a 5mm x 16mm x 6mm. I popped this in and re-assembled, and fingers crossed it's been fine ever since.

I got the seal here:

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p25497/5x16x6mm+Nitrile+Rubber+Rotary+Shaft+Oil+Seal+with +Garter+Spring+R23+/+TC/product_info.html

Joe

DrK00
28-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Yep, the new C6/4F A6s no longer have the brass tube Achilles heal -nope they've changed it for a nice solid shaft that rusts like crazy at the metal bushings when the seal at the end dies, just like Joe's. I've just stripped the whole thing apart to find my shaft and most importantly, bearing surfaces are too far gone :( The motor looks fine, yes the metal gear linkage parts were corroded like crazy the motor somehow escaped. No repair kit so I'll try my luck with a german auction for 4F9 955 711.
I suppose the good news is that it is sort of easy to check for. Once you've wrestled the trim off (top tip: there's a lug on either side that needs to be pinged off; put your hand between the trim and door and flick it off at either corner where it engages with the vertical trims) you can prise the black right angled piece off the back of the unit. if you see corrosion there you might be able to replace the seal as Joe did before the whole unit gets er, 'shafted' :) like mine...
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/asset.php?fid=14844&uid=58055&d=1322495689

sfhgolftdi
04-05-2015, 03:16 AM
If yours is a C6 (ie >2005) then it won't have the brass tube. I had exactly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I was about to buy the repair kit, but I decided to strip down the motor first.

It was a bit of a problem getting the rear wiper off, but it came off with the help of a small bearing puller I borrowed. The rear panel in the boot comes off in one piece. It is held in by six screws and spring clips, so it does take a bit of tugging. The wiper motor is held in by three bolts.

I removed the cover from the wiper assembly and found mechanism rusting and wet. I cleaned everything with WD40 and re-greased with silicon grease.

The problem of washer fluid getting into the mechanism seemed to be down to the seal that is located in the washer fluid pipe connector on the case of the wiper motor. You can easily remove the pipe connector by prising it off the case with a flat implement. Inside this connector is a standard shaft seal. The size is a 6mm x 16mm x 5mm. (6mm shaft, 16mm Seal OD, 5mm thickness). I searched online and found a 5mm x 16mm x 6mm. I popped this in and re-assembled, and fingers crossed it's been fine ever since.

I got the seal here:

5x16x6mm Nitrile Rubber Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring R23 / TC Simply Bearings Ltd (http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p25497/5x16x6mm+Nitrile+Rubber+Rotary+Shaft+Oil+Seal+with +Garter+Spring+R23+/+TC/product_info.html)

Joe

Joe, if you're still around, did you have any trouble getting the shaft seal out? Mine seems to be in really tight. I'm going to spray some lube on it and try again.

Northernstar002
21-07-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm having this trouble now. The motor has failed and the worm gear mechanism is full of washer fluid. Getting to it took a little careful though (and some brute force and ignorance) but how does one remove the wiper arm from the spindle? I've taken off the nut on the outside (under the plastic cap) but i dont want to pull it too hard.

Do I persevere?

MarkTM
21-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Invest in a wiper puller for under £5 delivered off ebay! :) May also be available from your local motoring shop for around £10

WIPER PULLER WIPER REMOVER WIPER TOOL WIPER ARM PULLER TOOL WIPER ARM TOOL NEW | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIPER-PULLER-WIPER-REMOVER-WIPER-TOOL-WIPER-ARM-PULLER-TOOL-WIPER-ARM-TOOL-NEW-/391128016063?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b110be4bf)

Northernstar002
21-07-2015, 01:05 PM
So it does just pull off once the outer nut (with the water hole in the middle) has been removed?

A bit of WD40 is probably in order too.

Also, does anyone know the part number for boot lock mechanism? it's a 2006 C6 avant.

Thanks.

MarkTM
21-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Am guessing you've never changed a wiper arm before?

Yes when outer nut is off it should just pull off the spindle, but is far easier/safer using a puller.

Ebay shows the boot lid latch as 4F5827505D, it's really easy to cross reference it. To be absolutely sure call your local audi dealer and speak to parts with that part no then your car reg :)

Google tells me that your nearest dealer is Swindon and they can be reached on 01793 399749 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0))

Northernstar002
21-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks for that.
Yep, done lots of wiper arms before but not on a newer Audi. It didnt want to come with some gentle persuasion and I didnt want to force it. I wasnt sure if something else needed doing before it would release.

Thanks also for the part number - awesome.

Cheers,

Northernstar002
30-07-2015, 12:50 PM
I have just had an email from my Audi dealer regarding part numbers and prices etc. So, for anyone else that may need it:

For my 2007 C6 avant:

Rear Wiper Motor - 4F9955711B £134.45 including VAT

Boot Latch - 8P4827505C £38.39 including VAT

B5NUT
30-07-2015, 02:12 PM
You could save yourself a good few quid by getting a VALEO unit, it the same manufacture as what Audi uses, it's just missing the audi stamp. AUDI A4 A6 ESTATE AVANT ALLROAD GENUINE VALEO REAR WIPER MOTOR 2 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A6-ESTATE-AVANT-ALLROAD-GENUINE-VALEO-REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-2-YEAR-WARRANTY-/251967978831?hash=item3aaa763d4f)

Northernstar002
30-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Those prices were only for guidance and confirmation of the part numbers direct from Audi.

I actually hopped onto ebay and bought something almost identical to what you have posted above, only it cost me £65 instead of £78 in your link.

Search for item number:161166354547

I cant really beat the locking mechanism new so I may get Audi to post it.