PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Vag Com or alternative please

200xcw
01-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I've done quite a bit of looking at Vag Com and others on the site. I want advice on what best suits my needs, My wife has a Jetta 4 (probably called a Bora in Europe) 2003 1.6, and I have a T5 transporter 2.5 2007 model. I believe the T5 has Can Bus, the Jetta not? I'm looking for something to use at home, largely to diagnose the condition of both cars, but also to clear fault codes. It would be nice to be able to change different basic settings as well, but I don't ever intend 'tuning/hopping up' the motors. Another reason is that I can say to a dealer 'this and this is wrong and only fix that' rather than them carrying out a bunch of repairs which I can't really verify the need for.
What to buy? And yes, times are tough and money comes into the equation in quite a big way, especially with our exchange rate here in South Africa.
Thanks in advance for the advice,
Pete

martin1810
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
You can't do can-bus cars without the ross-tech dongle and latest software, both of which you can get from ross-tech. despite claims made by others, nothing comes close to vag-com for diagnostics, it's practically dealer level. It's amazingy cheap when you consider what a dealer will charge for diagnostic work.

Tonyp
09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
there is only really two to choose from, AUTOLOGIC and VAG COM,

Autologic = best tool on the market for profesional use on vw, audi, seat, skoda @ approx £6000

Vag com = best tool on the market for semi pro and diy use @ approx £300
would say it wil do for your needs fine. just make sure you buy a genuine copy,

i've got both so think i can comment with expierience !!

hth:beerchug: