PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 Intermitant starting

Peter Pan
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Hi, my 1995 A6 V6 SE is suffering from intermitent starting problems. I've tested everything, replaced crankcase sensor and booster. RAC mechanic has tested everything suggested it might be ECU. Fuel pump primes, but signal back to engine ignition fails.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Pete.

Peter D
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Not sure what you mean "Fuel pump primes, but signal back to engine ignition fails." The ignition/injector system only fires up when cranking and of course running. You have to establish that the pump is running when cranking and you have a spark. When it dose start does is just burst into life as though nothing had been wrong ? An engine code would help. Regards Peter

Peter Pan
01-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Many Many thanks. How would I obtain an engine number? Yes the car does start up later as if nothing had happened.I really like the car and I would like to fix it if I can.
Peter Pan

JPJ10
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I have exactly the same thing although I have run into the a few more problems.

I have a 2000 X plate 2.4 A6 Avant multitronic. The clicking began about a month ago which I am resigned to meaning that the box is on its way out:(

I also have the starting problem where I can go round the corner to put fuel in and then wait for 10-15 minutes for the car to start. It turns over but will not fire into life at all:zx11:

Enjoyed the 4 rings for a while but afraid I will be going back to the blue and white propeller and a 330i for my next car:o

Peter D
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
It's one of the two larger 3 digit codes on the ID label either in the service book or on the label in the spare wheel bay. Regards Peter