PDA

View Full Version : hairline scratches - glass

tlionhart
01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
How do you remove hairline scratches from glass? I know there are many products on the market for paintwork defects, but how about glass?

I have a hairline glass scratch. Not majorly noticeable, but to me it is. The car is new, so want to maintain the condition.

Would Ag glass polish work?

Any advice appreciated?

spartacus 68
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Most car-care glass polishes will not work, effectively there taking off road grime, improving clarity, etc. What you'll need to remove a hairline scratch is cerium oxide. It comes in powder form. Add water to make a slip. Apply to the scratch and using a felt polishing pad on a rotary drill - it can be polished out. For obvious reasons - there are things to watch out for. Wear safety glasses and latex gloves - as there will be over-spray, and don't overwork the area when polishing - it will be hot to touch, and you could cause more damage than the original scratch. Keep the area lubricated with the slip and work it until your satisfied with the result. If the drill has speed settings, start slower until your comfortable with progress. It's a long laborious process, but with a little patience - you'll get it done. On completion, wash down the area and rinse with fresh water.

It's a while since I've done it, and I'm sure the powder comes in different grades. There are kits available - but hell why pay £30, when you can probably do it for a tenner!