PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Change

j4s0n88
01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I was wondering whether anyone could tell me the price id be looking to pay for a clutch change on my 2004 mk5 1.9tdi golf?

Its covered 60,000 but clutch pedal keeps sticking, i know this might be related to spring in pedal, but unaware of how car was driven before i had the car so just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas of a price id be looking to pay?

Thanks

ayrshirelad
24-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I had to have this done on my 2005/2006 Mk5 golf 1.9TDI.. had covered 89k before this happened. I had just bought my car.. so the previous 1 owner had never had work done to her. But she had torn the thing to shreds. wish i had taken a pic.. it was crazy!

Beware VW will tell you that you need a new fly wheel.. this may be the case but generally not the case. Most of the local good garages will look at the problem and tell you how much it will cost genuinely. I got a quote of £1190 from VW Garage. And my local garage charge £400.

They also said that if my fly wheel did need replaced that it would only have been about £700.. So pays to go to the local garage i think and i still get a 3 year warranty.

Dont know where you are located.. but i used a garage called Autotek.

j4s0n88
24-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Im from birmingham, my friend had his car send in this week to VW to diagnose a fault because he was having a knocking noise on start up, which they diagnosed at the flywheel, and they quoted £1400 for him so he pulled the car out the garage as they would have had to change both + labour!

I seen a couple of kits on the net, and they was expensive for both the flywheel + clutch alone before labour because your talking a days labour at any garage!

Thanks for the info.

Paulhe
24-04-2009, 07:57 PM
My 1.9 TDI has just clocked 200,K miles (2005) - strange popping noises from engine which have progressivily got worse. VW garage diagnosed Flywheel problem - seems (so I am told) VW have lightened the flywheel and on some 1.9 engines this can cause a problem.

Had clutch replaced at same time total VW cost £940. The difference it has made to the engine is superb, however it has left the engine really difficult to start needs 15 secs of good winding where as before it always started first turn of key - any suggestions?

Ben
24-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Im from birmingham, my friend had his car send in this week to VW to diagnose a fault because he was having a knocking noise on start up, which they diagnosed at the flywheel, and they quoted £1400 for him so he pulled the car out the garage as they would have had to change both + labour!

I seen a couple of kits on the net, and they was expensive for both the flywheel + clutch alone before labour because your talking a days labour at any garage!

Thanks for the info.

I've been quoted £570 fitted from a1 clutches in tipton. i'm in coventry

ayrshirelad
24-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I think your engine taking 15 seconds or so to turn over.. well thats just age and millage. Could be the starter needs changed.. But again no mechanic here. lol

Paulhe
24-04-2009, 08:25 PM
It was fine until they put the new flywheel / clutch in, am begining to suspect the clutch sensor may be slightly 'out'