PDA

View Full Version : Convince me about chipping....

BSB
01-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Hi All

I recently changed my old 141,000 mile GT TDI 130 for an '07 Mk V GT TDI 170. Thus far, I have to say I am absolutely delighted with the vehicle. It appears to have addressed the very few issues I had with the Mk IV and seems to be a refined and effortless ride. However, just before I sold the last Mk IV, I had been looking at having it chipped. The thought still hasn't completely left my mind but I find the 170 so quick anyway, I'm wondering if it would produce an impressive enough result or not. It also seems that the 170 with the DPF is a little harder to produce results from so, I'm particularly keen to hear from anybody with a chipped 170 about their experiences. The other thing that worries me is how it might affect servicing issues at the dealership (I religiously have the car serviced at a main dealer).

I'd love to hear from you.

JohnWithAGolf
07-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi,

My friend and I both with GT170s (56 & 58 plate) have had ours fitted with ST3 boxes from chipped UK.

Firstly, the service was fantastic, we ordered them on Wednesday and they were delivered Thursday morning, the installation on the computer was easy and after plugging it into the diagnostic port in my car to copy the original map I emailled it to chipped uk who sent back two maps within 20 minutes, one called Fast Road and one Economy. These were then uploaded to the ST3 box and then taken to the car where I uploaded the fast road map.

The change was instant. The power delivery much smoother, and instead of the revs dying in the early 4k revs, it pulls all the way to the redline, it seems to have cut the aggressiveness when pulling away allowing a much cleaner take off. My friend's tried the economy map and is getting high 40s mpg and he's heavy on his right foot!

The beauty is the box doesn't have to stay in the car and there's no trace of the mod on the car.

The service from chipped UK was first class, my friend had a problem with his box and they replaced it straight away with no hassle at all. I've just logged onto the forum to sing their praises for the level of service.

Hope this helps mate...

BSB
08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi,

My friend and I both with GT170s (56 & 58 plate) have had ours fitted with ST3 boxes from chipped UK.

Firstly, the service was fantastic, we ordered them on Wednesday and they were delivered Thursday morning, the installation on the computer was easy and after plugging it into the diagnostic port in my car to copy the original map I emailled it to chipped uk who sent back two maps within 20 minutes, one called Fast Road and one Economy. These were then uploaded to the ST3 box and then taken to the car where I uploaded the fast road map.

The change was instant. The power delivery much smoother, and instead of the revs dying in the early 4k revs, it pulls all the way to the redline, it seems to have cut the aggressiveness when pulling away allowing a much cleaner take off. My friend's tried the economy map and is getting high 40s mpg and he's heavy on his right foot!

The beauty is the box doesn't have to stay in the car and there's no trace of the mod on the car.

The service from chipped UK was first class, my friend had a problem with his box and they replaced it straight away with no hassle at all. I've just logged onto the forum to sing their praises for the level of service.

Hope this helps mate...
Thanks very much for your reply, John. The ST3 is one of the boxes I have been considering and that goes some way toward making up my mind.

A4_3.0_TDI
24-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I've just bought an AlienTech from AutoGym in Chester for £295. It’s the same as the ST3 but not rebadged, and the guy has been affiliated with ChippedUk in the past.

I've got to say I'm very impressed.
I paid for the unit at 2pm and it had arrived the next morning by 9am, then he emailed my Road map within 2 hours of me reading my original.

Here's the really impressive bit.
The AlienTech struggled to write to my car (Most tuners quote more for my model - 2005 A4 3.0 TDI Quattro Auto 205). So I just read a log file from the device and emailed it to AutoGym. Within 2 hours 2 guys at AlienTech had been involved and a new firmware file was sent to me. Simple update at it worked a treat.

The maps are custom writen to your requirements. With my Road map being setup for economy and to remove the turbo lag. I got an extra 3 mpg on today’s commute (according to the DIS) and instant throttle from standstill.
The other map will be full power - but he's given me the opportunity of requesting changes based on using the first.

Like I say the really impressive bit was how quickly and professionally the problem was solved, as an industrial software engineer I appreciate the difficulties in connecting to different equipment, and just wish I had this sort of service from all my suppliers.

http://www.autogym.co.uk/

Benzev
29-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't do it as you lose your warranty on any driveline part and with other potential future software updates at your dealer if the technician is incompetent or unaware your ecm may inadvertently be damaged! I've worked for VW long enough to know they will not cover chipped cars under warranty! Even once out of warranty for recalls(field campaigns) they will refuse to cover you!

Alex jb
16-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't do it as you lose your warranty on any driveline part and with other potential future software updates at your dealer if the technician is incompetent or unaware your ecm may inadvertently be damaged! I've worked for VW long enough to know they will not cover chipped cars under warranty! Even once out of warranty for recalls(field campaigns) they will refuse to cover you!

Nice to hear from someone involved directly with VW, but out of curiosity, how do they know the car was chipped if the map is part of a device that is removed for service and in theory 'leves no trace'?