PDA

View Full Version : A6 - painting hubs n calipers

JimC64
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/jaycam0802/car22.jpg

Hi all, firstly I should apologise for the lack of pics:(

Spent 3 hours on Saturday and removed the new wheels I'd put on a week or so ago and cleaned the back of them. While I had them off I wanted to repaint the wheels hubs that meet the rear of the alloy and the calipers. These get grimy / rusty / generally crapy over time and take away from the look of the vehicle.
Gave them brush down with a stiff brush to remove the worst of the dirt and any loose material and gave them a coat of Hammerite Silver. The hubs looks fantastic as do the calipers. Had my car in at the dealer today and it was commented on 2 or 3 times how clean and new they looked......deffo worth the effort:Blush::Blush:
I chose to go with silver as red or any other colour is too boy racerish for my liking and doesn't g owith the image of an A6....well, not mine anyway......Anyone else ?

farmamick
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Thinking of doing mine. The car is going for its NCT (Irish MOT) soon, and I want the brakes to look as good as they are - rusty is not cool.

Did you use high temp paint? I assume so!

Col
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I've done exactly the same on my Final Edition Avant.

However, with it being a black car and not wanting to attract attention and also to avoid the boy racer look (which does not become an normal non RS A6) I did mine in satin black.

I used high temp engine enamel paint instead of hammerite having had an experience many years ago where when I painted the brakes, the hammerite could not stand the heat.

Works really well and really tidies up the view through the wheels.

The added bonus of doing it black is that the brake dust does not show up as badly.

JimC64
01-04-2009, 02:32 PM

re the enamel paint Col...to be fair probably the best for the job and I'd love to see pics if you have them.
I think though that maybe Hammerita has changed over the years...certainly having done my hubs n calipers twice now, they lasted about a year the first time round which I thought wasn't too bad...Can you advise if you've had longer from your enamel paint? It'd be good to get a comparison.
I really need to get some batteries for my digicam and try to post up a few pics.

Jim

kite
01-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I have used Japlac to paint calipers on both our cars.
Just black though, not into bright colours, its available from B&Q in a range of colours.

JimC64
01-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Ok guys, I managed to take a few quick shots of the hubs n calipers as mentioned. Gives an idea of how much better than the usual dirty / grimy look that is the norm.
I've noticed a few guys who paint their calipers but not the hubs? Surely it'd make sense as it gives it a much cleaner look overall.:Blush:

Thanks

Jim

Col
01-04-2009, 05:57 PM
As for the enamel stuff, yes, very long lasting but I think a lot of it is to do with the fact it is black and does not show any wear and tear.

If I'd done mine silver, I reckon I'd have to have the wheels off once a week to jet wash the calipers clean.

It is "High temperature engine enamel paint" from good old Halfords and is only about £5 a tin, also think you can get it in all sorts of colours. Needs two coats with about one week between coats.

So far I've used it on my old Golf4 which I had 3 years, my old Passat B5.5 which I had two years and now on the A6 which I've had only a few months. I've never had to re-apply it.

A couple of pics, you can't really see them (which is the desired effect for me) as, they are black and the wheels are the stock 16"s with only a small window.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/A6/P2150008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/colin__/A6/P2150009.jpg

Do need to take some better pics, but you get the idea. Note this is a C5 A6 of 2005 vintage with different brakes to the current model.

paul b
01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm just gorping at the exquisite state of Col's wheels. Totally unmarked.

Flipping wife! :aargh4:

Need to do something with the brakes on mine. Was thinking red after seeing them on my mate's Mk5 Golf GTI... hmm maybe silver, black or even the body colour (dark blue) would be better...

ellaguru2u
22-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I chose to go with silver as red or any other colour is too boy racerish for my liking and doesn't g owith the image of an A6....well, not mine anyway......Anyone else ?

Totally agree...they do look well

JimC64
06-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Well guys, its fast approaching that time of year again!!

Just waiting for the right weather ( may be a few weeks away yet ) and the time and its off with the wheels again.

I'll be refinishing the calipers and hub area, probably go for silver again........needed even more now after fitting the bigger wheels.

I'll probably be detarring the inside of the alloys and cleaning the wheel well liners etc while I'm there.......will try and post pics when completed :beerchug:

Anyone else up for some spring re juvenation of their vehicle??

mgcgill
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Yep.

Once the Glasgow weather changes, I'll be doing mine I thinks. :biglaugh:

JimC64
06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
We should get together McGill as our A6's sound identical in almost every way apart from the S line suspension......I left mine with the Std SE setup as I find the Sline too harsh....must be getting old mate :beerchug:

We could host a caliper painting party.....I'll supply the beers ;)

dandam
07-03-2011, 10:01 AM
We boys know how to have fun don't we, could we make it a weekend break as Glasgow is a bit far for an evening :banana:

I must do mine, especially as they are far more visible now with the new wheels, just waiting to get through next mondays MOT / service and a trip to Ireland - maybe over easter all being well.

JimC64
07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Glasgows too far dandam? Where are you mate?

Could always come up for the Audi meet 27th March at Stirling, stay overnight, do the meet, have a few beers, some dinner and guid Scots hostility and head back down the next day...lol:beerchug:

JimC64
24-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Ok....took some time out today as the weather was just soo nice:D

Decided to look out the silver hammerite, brushes and in leiu of Autoglym tar remover, some petrol and made a start.

Took around an hour or so per corner, removed the wheels and put aside, and repainted the hubs and calipers. Whilst that was drying I turned my attention to the wheels...They were covered in dozens and dozens of tar spots, so I fist gave them a quick wash and then liberally applied the petrol and worked it in with a rag. The tar spots soon came away and then I re washed them with hot soapy water and dried carefully with a microfibre.
Then back on to the car they went and then a nice coating of wet n black to the tyres for a great result.......All good for another year:D:D

See pics below.....

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/jaycam0802/Image016.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/jaycam0802/Image015.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r38/jaycam0802/Image014.jpg

pics are from my camera phone so not the best quality but you get the idea :beerchug:

Guest 2
24-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Looks good Jim. I need to get my finger out and get mine re-furbed during the summer. My calipers are also looking a bit worse for wear so may consider painting them.

The silver looks good but I think the black would suit my darker paint.

Keep it up Jim :)

JimC64
24-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks Chris.....looking forward to your pics once they are done;)

dandam
26-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Glasgows too far dandam? Where are you mate?

Could always come up for the Audi meet 27th March at Stirling, stay overnight, do the meet, have a few beers, some dinner and guid Scots hostility and head back down the next day...lol:beerchug:

I'm near Birmingham, so Glasgow isn't that far courtesy of the M6. I have been past there a few times as I have family on the Isle of Skye. Unfortunately it's too late now, I'm on a ferry from Ireland to Wales as I have been in Cork for the past week - decorating !! (being a forced landlord isn't all it's cracked up to be !!)

Enjoy the meet, and post up a few pic's if you get the chance :D

JimC64
29-04-2012, 04:23 AM
That time of year again..............below some before n after pics of the fruits of my 4 hour stint today rapainting the hubs / calipers............Wheels cleaned inside n out and all lookin good............roll on the summer!!:approve::approve:

Just me n my baby today.............she got plenty of lurv and is lookin good as I also managed to remove my rear light clusters and resolve the condensation issue. She now looks as good from the back as she does from the front :beerchug:

MFGF
29-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Looks great Jim!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gupsterg
29-04-2012, 09:15 PM
:notworthy blimey Jim, you could eat off those rims....

JimC64
29-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Lol......thanks gupsterg, finger food only though cos knives / forks would cause scratches

Guest 2
29-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I forget what a unkerbed/beaten/bruised RS4 rim looks like :(

They are beyond clean Jim!

Refurb is definitely on the cards this summer!

What cleaner do you use? I'm liking the Bilberry wheel cleaner at the minute!

JimC64
29-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Chris, thanks for the kind words.......I use Sonax full effect wheel cleaner..........

It a safe and friendly cleaner for rims.............its a lime green but when sprayed on the rims and comes into contact with brake dust / dirt / grime etc it turns purple so you can see it work.
I find that even a very liberal spray goes a long long way and then the grime just slides off...........that coupled with regular cleaning does the trick for me.

Guest 2
29-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks Jim, just wanting to see what works well compared to the price of the cleaner itself.

How much did you pay for your cleaner if you don't mind me asking?

Just realised I said this time last year i said that I was getting my wheels refurbed but never did! Doh!

gupsterg
29-04-2012, 09:47 PM
I see this is second time you done calipers, when you did first time how did you prepare them for painting? I've renewed all four discs on mine in Jan so disc hat/hubs look good as they already had silver paint on them wanna do the calipers, was the hamerite that you used first time what you used again...

JimC64
30-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Hey guys...........please see reply comments inserted below in bold.........

Thanks Jim, just wanting to see what works well compared to the price of the cleaner itself.
How much did you pay for your cleaner if you don't mind me asking? I didn't in actual fact pay anything this time around as it was part of a gift pack from the Jaguarforum I run. Having checked though I'm sure it's around £12 - £13 which sounds expensive I know, but it really does work very well and a little goes a long way as long as you don't get trigger happy......lol
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=sonax%20full%20effect%20wheel%20cleaner%205%20li ter%20refill&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEwQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dk16 p5t2fQnY&ei=5NKdT8L9MoXH0QXrgfX1Dg&usg=AFQjCNHcB0-7-RwZ7qh1unjT4I3nnBXeNQ
Just realised I said this time last year i said that I was getting my wheels refurbed but never did! Doh! I'll be lookin forward to your post of the refurb wheels in the coming months Chris as I know you like your ride to look its best :approve:

I see this is second time you done calipers, when you did first time how did you prepare them for painting? I've renewed all four discs on mine in Jan so disc hat/hubs look good as they already had silver paint on them wanna do the calipers, was the hamerite that you used first time what you used again...
Hi Gupsterg - yes I did them around this time last year and generally do the same every year I guess. To my mind 4-5 hours once a year is a small price to pay for the look you get:approve:
It was Hammerite smooth silver the first time around and the same again and works well. Preparation is a thorough going over with a wire brush as required, followed by a light sanding, then using an old paintbrush I brush away the debris and very carefully paint as needed.
I've done it so many times now and a 1/2" paintbrush or similar and a steady hand / good eye is all thats needed

Once again thanks for the kind comments..........:beerchug: