PDA

View Full Version : Blotchy Paintwork

futtret
31-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Wondered if anyone could assist here.........

I put a deposit on a used 57 plate 1.4TSI and went to view it at the weekend (it was 200miles away) with a view to buying it.

I noticed that the paintwork on the outside of both the passenger side doors was blotchy in places and at one part had like very tiny little bubble speckles. The blotches were a slighlty lighter shade of (reflex) silver and fairly random in shape and size. It had been cleaned/polished etc by the dealer prior to arrival.

They reduced the price and I bought the car.

Now a few days later as the shine is fading the blotches are less visible but still noticeable if you know where to look. Polishing it up must make it worse (I dont know much re polish/waxing etc).

Does anyone know if this should be rectified under warranty and if so can I just take it to my local VW dealer?

The strip along the front passenger door is also starting to peel away at each end - should this also be covered by warranty? Presumably it just needs to be specially glued back on?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

RickT
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi,

I would take the car to your local VW garage to assess..

Did you purchase from a VW dealer?

If its been repaired in the past by a non VW bodyshop, the warrenty is void on that section of the paint work.

Rick

futtret
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
hi,

thanks for the reply

when you say garage i take it you mean approved VW dealership?

yeah i bought it from a VW dealership - i'm guessing nobody will cover it under warranty otherwise they wouldn't have reduced the price but i'll certainly give it a go. The problem is theres no evidence so it then just becomes my word against theirs, but theyre in control as the perceived experts!

due to the irregular pattern i dont think its been a re-spray but then again i'm no expert.

i seem to remember i noticed a similar lesser blotchiness on a previous silver car 4ish years ago when washing it; and i'm fairly certain it was never resprayed either.

cheers

knt
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I think the bodywork and paintwork have several more years warranty than the car. Might be best taking it to another VW dealer from the one you purchased it from.