PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Engine rattle

mgp55
31-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Hello - I have a 55 plate golf Mk5 1.6FSI - At between 1800 - 2000 revs there it has developed a rattle/buzzing noise that VW have so been unable to rectify. It is not easy to pinpoint exactly where the noise comes from other than it is most likely to be in the engine bay near the bulkhead top centre. However following numerous visits to the garage it seems to be something to do with the engine cover or air filter box. The charactersitics are as follows:

Only occurs between 1800 - 2000 revs
If the revs are at this point and you then bring the clutch up to biting point, the noise dissapears
It can be heard mainly on over-run - ie going down hill or slowing down - in any gear but not when accelerating
It gets worse if you touch or move the engine cover

The air filter box has been replaced and the engine cover was swapped out from another car whilst in the dealers - it did not make any difference however the new air filter box did improve the noise.

The dealers have said that another car of similar age made a similar noise but I would like to know if any other 1.6 FSI owners have experienced anything similar - if so how was it fixed?

Also if anyone has any ideas or suggestion, they would be most appreciated.

Thanks

dessie123
07-04-2009, 10:08 AM
what type of fuel are you using? i had a rattle on my golf and it turned out to be pinking very badly and very loudly, i was told by the dealer that i needed to use super unleaded, not the cheap supermarket stuff and then the pinking would disappear. as of yet i havent put super unleaeded in yet as my tank was pretty full when i got my car checked,