PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Bonnet release catch not working

Trowel
31-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi, I went to top up my coolant this evening, only to find that the bonnet release isn't working :zx11:

The lever initially had a little give at the point where it would normally release the catch, but the bonnet stayed flush. I've pushed the bonnet down firmly to make sure it's seated, but nothing will make it pop - the lever now seems to do nothing. The lever always seemed a little flimsy, but I guess now the cable connection has gone somewhere.

Anything I can do? If not, luckily I topped up my warranty the other day...

Ben
31-03-2009, 09:45 PM
this has been talked about on here before and i believe suggested soloutions. include removing the handle and giving a good tug with pliers.

zollaf
31-03-2009, 09:47 PM
as youve just renewed your warranty, i would get your coolant loss sorted under it as well.

Trowel
31-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Cheers chaps, will have a search in the archives for the bonnet release. Read some of those coolant threads a while back, one of the many reasons why I decided to keep the warranty going - only had the car 3 months so should have been full from the dealer's service, so could well be a problem.

RickT
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I had the same problem the other week..

i pulled too hard and ripped the handle off in my hand..

A good tip is to get someone to pull the lever slowly but firm and hit the bonnet hard with the palm of your hand till it undos.. it may take 10 taps but will undo..

Once undone... get a new catch and "short" cable.

Will cost you around £30 in total from VW.

I have to replace the handle and a few other parts due to my exterme stength!! lol :aargh4:

Rick

markyd85
05-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi this also happened to me, i ended up buying a new plastic leaver as the cable had broken it. The part cost only £1.66 from vw and once you strip it down and take the plastic covering off it's fairly easy to get at and sort.

davyb123
15-04-2009, 06:23 PM
The same thing has just happened to me! Stupid thing! I can't believe that such a well made car has such a badly designed boot release :zx11:

Anywho followed RickT's advice from above post, pulled the lever and gave the bonnet several hard pushes on the front of the bonnet above the VW badge. Just on the point of giving up when I gave it a little tug from underneath and it popped up onto it's release catch were I could just release from under the bonnet as normal. Soooo happy and relieved!

Thanks soo much for advice! :beerchug:

D out.

RickT
15-04-2009, 11:44 PM
The same thing has just happened to me! Stupid thing! I can't believe that such a well made car has such a badly designed boot release :zx11:

Anywho followed RickT's advice from above post, pulled the lever and gave the bonnet several hard pushes on the front of the bonnet above the VW badge. Just on the point of giving up when I gave it a little tug from underneath and it popped up onto it's release catch were I could just release from under the bonnet as normal. Soooo happy and relieved!

Thanks soo much for advice! :beerchug:

D out.

Cool... glad you got in there.

If i was you... change the catch and the short part of the cable if its sticking.....

Or.. to start with.. grease the catch..

These are becoming VERY common now!

Rick