PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI Engine mounts

GarJE
31-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Please take a look at this video if you get a chance. I've got a feeling the engine mount(s) are shot and the engine is shaking quite a lot at idle.

It's already had the recent ECU update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2vWQQlUBc

What are your opinions? There's a good 10mm play back and forth when shaking the engine via the oil filler cap.

GarJE
31-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Youtube's compression has cut out the amount of movement. Will post a slow-mo in a bit.

richgolfmk5tdi
01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
hi there, be worth checking the gearbox too subframe mounting underneath the car, you will need to take the undertray off so you can see it and try the bolts, they have been known to come loose

zf44
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
The earlier 2.0Tdi 170bhp had problems with the engine mounts. VW didn't bother to do recalls but I know dealers were replacing the engine mounts free of charge. As I don't know how old your Golf is it may be worth approaching your local dealer to see if they willing to replace it free of charge.

GarJE
08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Managed to get in the pit under the car today. Pulled off the lower "dogbone" mount, to reveal the subframe bush which has split, pretty much half way through on both sides.

Whether this is the cause or result of the lumpy idle will be proved tomorrow when I change the old bush for a new item.

For my own piece of mind, I also pulled off the R/H engine mount, which seems in fine condition.

Will post up tomorrow with the result of the bush change.

GarJE
11-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Having changed the bush and given it a few days, i would seriously suggest to those who have the lumpy idle (after the ecu update) that you take it to the dealers and point them to this. It was an absolute mofo of a job. My bet is that dealers are going to wait until cars are out of warrenty before diagnosing the true cause of this issue. You'd be looking at a good 2 hours labour to get it done.

richgolfmk5tdi
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM
i think the lumpy idle is due to the software being wrong and like you say get this done first and see how the engine runs
i taking my car in 17 april golf mk5 gt 140, 04 50k had it from new for the up date so i hope im right, rang the dealer and they knew about it and booked it in and no charge said they want the car all day tho, i'll let you know the out come
mines got a flat spot about 1800 revs when driving slowly and lumpy idle when its hot, sometimes its better or worse than other times
Rich.

nevo
11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Got any pics of the bush,or anywhere with the utube video, I'd like to see it,not sure which one you mean,Thanks

jamedvickni
17-06-2009, 12:02 PM
how old was your golf when you found the bush split, mine is a year 12k on clock and shaking like mad and lumpy idle

danGT
21-06-2009, 10:41 PM
i think the lumpy idle is due to the software being wrong and like you say get this done first and see how the engine runs
i taking my car in 17 april golf mk5 gt 140, 04 50k had it from new for the up date so i hope im right, rang the dealer and they knew about it and booked it in and no charge said they want the car all day tho, i'll let you know the out come
mines got a flat spot about 1800 revs when driving slowly and lumpy idle when its hot, sometimes its better or worse than other times
Rich.

Hmmm I wonder if this is why my idle is lumpy when warm, does yours get worse when you switch the air-con off, take a look at my thread
'Engine Shaking After Cambelt Change'

It would seen quite possible as they have to remove the drivers side mount to change the belt.

VW_GTTDI
22-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I have exactly the same problem that garJe had, ive had 04 reg for over a year now and never even botherd with it, as everything runs fine. Nevertheless i wouldnt mind getting an ecu update, does anyone know where i can get 1 done. Or is it just the dealers i have to go to do get the update.

nevo
23-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Take it to the main dealer for your ecu update ,its totally free! dont be fobbed off by them saying it costs money,go elsewhere if they wont do it.

VW_GTTDI
23-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Take it to the main dealer for your ecu update ,its totally free! dont be fobbed off by them saying it costs money,go elsewhere if they wont do it.

Ok mate, cheers.

jamedvickni
24-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Had the ecu update done yesterday after being told by another vw garage it had already been done!!! but no luck all faults remain, same as all other diesel golfs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apparently:aargh4:

nevo
24-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Take the undertray off get someone to rock the engine back and forth,whilst you look at the engine mount under the airfilter ,and the subframe attatchments points,see if theres any exessive play, you can contact garJE he's had a split bush somewhere on the subframe mounts ,not sure where