PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 Avant hazard warning triangle in tailgate

maknight
31-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi

I have recently purchased a 2001 A6 2.4 SE Avant (C5 model) and am busy getting to know it (also own a 1997 A3 1.8 T Sport so lots of bits are familiar).

The A6 tailgate has a hatch inside it which I presume is for the hazard triangle, however it does not have a catch on it to open it, and I can't seem to open it up.

My question is whether the lack of catch indicates that there is no triangle inside and it is in fact a blank, and I need to retrofit a working hatch, or is it merely a case of a broken catch? If so, any ideas how to open the box without breaking it?

Thanks!

NickPicks
31-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Same car as me!

There should be a catch. It's a single twist catch in the centre of the flap at the bottom (when the hatch is closed).

It's common for these to break. Mine was flapping about open when I bought the car.

It sounds like yours has broken whilst closed - you might have to force it open (It's only a plastic clip) or poke a screwdriver through the hole to turn it.

The replacement catch was very cheap at my local Audi parts department. Certainly not more than a couple of pounds I think.

I think the parts you'll need are 4B9867799 & 4B9867899, with some extra numbers depending on colour

You'll need to register to see:
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A6/2000/261/56/3337540/

maknight
31-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Excellent, thanks NickPicks, will give it a go!