PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Compatible CD Changer?

sward
31-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi, this my first post and I'd really appreciate some advice please.

I've just bought a 56 plate A6 saloon and was under the impression that the CD player/changer was MP3 compatible. However, I've tried burning MP3 tracks onto a CD via iTunes but the MMI says that the CD is unreadable.

Does anyone know a simple way to tell if the CD changer is indeed MP3 compatible, or is there is specific type of CD that I have to use?

I'm a bit of a luddite with all things technical so would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Scott

clonmult
31-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Can't comment specifically about that CD changer, but in general I've had nightmares in attempting to consistently burn MP3 CDs for the car. The old alpine head unit I had would sometimes take them, other times wouldn't. Gave up and stuck to using the iPod.

Issac Hunt
31-03-2009, 06:43 PM
MP3 changer wasnt introduced until 07 on the A6.

sward
31-03-2009, 09:16 PM
When I picked the car up the car was listed as 07 spec on some of the paperwork although it is on a 56 plate.

Any suggestions?

a8 tech
31-03-2009, 09:29 PM
we need to no what the part number is,also is your mmi screen red or colour display

if you have vag com check
if its 4E0 057 110 c or d its cd and mp3 5474 (stolen thumbnail)

you can also check the cd player by selecting radio then press set up and return at the same time and this will bring the hidden menu up,scroll to cd changer and open it to display the sw version

Try speaking to your local Audi dealer they can check the Pr codes to confirm whats fitted to your vehicle

chat
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I have given up on playing CDs in the car altogether and now play my ipod through a "Connects 2" interface into the changer socket on the Concert head unit. Its so much more convenient, you dont have to carry CDs or route around for the one you want to play and you have got your entire music collection on demand,( Playing a random selection of tracks if you want )and all contained in your glove box. Quality is superb too. I reckon this is the way to go

sward
02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll check the details and get back to you.

clonmult
02-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I have given up on playing CDs in the car altogether and now play my ipod through a "Connects 2" interface into the changer socket on the Concert head unit. Its so much more convenient, you dont have to carry CDs or route around for the one you want to play and you have got your entire music collection on demand,( Playing a random selection of tracks if you want )and all contained in your glove box. Quality is superb too. I reckon this is the way to go

I was tempted by the connects 2/dension/others, but ultimately they don't quite give the same flexibility or ease of control that you get from a dedicated iPod based head unit. On the Alpine I've had installed (IDA-x100), I can have two iPods connected/charging, can easily connect up a USB thumb drive, and also have a rather nice colour screen.

Sure, it doesn't look quite as well integrated as the standard fit system, but it works better, and arguably has much better sound quality.

sward
02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
we need to no what the part number is,also is your mmi screen red or colour display

if you have vag com check
if its 4E0 057 110 c or d its cd and mp3 5474 (stolen thumbnail)

you can also check the cd player by selecting radio then press set up and return at the same time and this will bring the hidden menu up,scroll to cd changer and open it to display the sw version

Try speaking to your local Audi dealer they can check the Pr codes to confirm whats fitted to your vehicle

Just gone into the hidden menu and the CD changer is listed as 0470. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Sclark29
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I've got a '56' 2006 A6 and my glovebox CD changer is not mp3 compatible - I was well fed up as the same age A4 I ws looking a was compatible. I've just had a Dension 500 gateway fitted and it takes iPods and USB sticks/hard drives and allows steering wheel control. It's steep at £400 though, but well worth it you're keepin theg car for while.

a8 tech
08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
dension 500 supplied and fitted £300 northwest only
AMI supplied and fitted approx £500

Tanuki
20-04-2009, 02:20 PM
dension 500 supplied and fitted £300 northwest only
AMI supplied and fitted approx £500

One price for the North, and another for the South. I was quoted £349 not including fitting.