PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 B5 - ABS Sensor - VAGCOM

constablechris
30-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi All,

Ref: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=64895

I have a problem whereby my ABS is kicking in when it shouldn't following some work I've had carrying out.

The garage took it back and *aparently* cleaned the ABS sensor, but the problem still persists and is if anything, worse.

It has been suggested by Crasher that I find out which sensor is dropping out by plugging the car in.

I've no experience at all of VAGCOM which is presumably what I need to use - and do not have any equipment or software to do it with, nor do I know how to use it.

I am, however, willing to give it a go. I can't afford to spend that much on it - would £20 or so get me the software and equipment needed?

Crasher said the following:
Yes you can do this with VAG-COM but over about 20 mph it drops out but you don’t need it to work that fast. Unfortunately the shareware has limited functionality in Measuring Blocks 08 and I have no idea if a generic cable and the shareware will work as I have never used it.

Would anyone be able to clarify?

I'm in Cambridge (CB1) and my car is a 1997 (R) Audi A4 1.9 TDi 110

Thanks

Chris

bearthebruce
31-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Crasher is correct about not being able to measure/perform diagnostics over 20mph. The controller in the car will not support diagnostic sessions at speed because it needs all of it's attention on doing it's job and simply ignores the requests for diagnostic information.

Crasher is suggesting to you that the aftermaket setup running the shareware version of the program is limited. He is correct on that. But it seems your budget will only allow you to go the aftermarket cable/shareware route. If you can risk the £20, then you certainly could try to see if it would give you the information you are looking to have.

Alternatively, you could try to find someone on this forum with the full deal who would be willing to lend you a hand.

ISOHunter
25-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi,

I know this is late and you must have sorted it by now but.....

I just had a problem like this.

I would recommend Vaf-Com test to find out which side it is or just try and remember which side the garage was working on before it started to play up.

Then get a volt meter and plug it in on the end of the abs sensor cable and turn the ignition on (don't turn engine fully on)

You should get a few volts, I then wiggled the cable around and checked to see if the volts dropped.

It turned out that near the top point where the cable attaches to the strut and doubles back on itself the cable had a break which dropped the volts down whn I moved it about.

Check it out, might be your problem as well.

Mine was front right, just after a new trackrod had been fitted. I only got it done by them because I did not have the time myself. Lesson to self..

Hope this helps someone! :)